A perfect ending for Reed

Tiger+Woods+watching+the+ball+after+his+swing.+
Tiger Woods watching the ball after his swing.

WIKIMEDIA.COM

WIKIMEDIA.COM

Michael Harms, Courier Staff

Golf is in full swing now after the Masters. The four-day event took place at the Augusta National in Georgia. This showed us once again how golf is full of drama packed action that all boils down to just a few strokes.

Coming into this event, there were too many stories and athletes that captivated the public, but one stood above all. One of the most dominant players of all time and what some may call the biggest star in the world returned to golf. Tiger Woods returned to the Masters after his personal life imploded, and his back pain led him to an opioid addiction. He relied on opioids for his lower back pain, which he says has finally disappeared. He went to rehab and is now healthy and has a new look on the sport.

He came into the Masters happy to compete, and unfortunately, he was not the Woods that fans grew to love so many years ago. It hurts to see people you grew up with not be the superstar they once were. Just ask Bulls fans watching Michael Jordan in a Wizards jersey, it is not a sight that should be remembered, and yet it was amazing.

As spectators, we got to see Woods once more wearing red on Sunday, which many thought may never occur again. After finishing plus one after the event, he knows there is more to work on and yet we cannot wait to see him battle at the top once more.

Another story that sprung up during the tournament occurred during the par three contest, where we saw an unfortunate accident and miraculous recovery. Tony Finau sunk a hole in one during the par three contest and while walking backwards celebrating his tremendous victory, Finau twisted and dislocated his ankle, then popped it right back in and finished 12 after Sunday.

The final day started off with the top two competitors throwing shade at one another. Patrick Reed has never won a major, but his partner Rory McIlroy had participated in the Masters and choked during the last day. McIlroy said that all the pressure is on Reed, trying to avert the eyes of the media off of himself and add pressure to Reed that may have affected his play, but Reed knew how to deflect it. He reminded us that McIlroy failed to win at the Masters before and he must be reminded that he cannot fail again.

Reed and McIlroy did not start the final round well, but it was the back nine where the drama began. Jordan Speith attempted to break the course record with an eight under, but failed to make it nine under with a bogey on 18. The crowd roared as he birdied again and again as Reed had yet to get to the final six holes.

Meanwhile Rickie Fowler, who has yet to win his first major, denied Speith the chance to win his third green jacket by having his own amazing final round and being the clubhouse leader at under 14 after his four rounds. Reed was the leader by one stroke and it all came down to his final hole. Could he hold off the pack or not? He had an amazing first two shots that got close to the hole and two putted to make par for the win.

He handled the pressure in the best way possible, by winning at Augusta. Patrick Reed ignored the media, his haters and McIlroy to hold up his first major and get a new tailored green jacket that proves he can handle pressure as well as any golfer in the world.