Soccer posts winless weekend

Tim Hansen directs his teammates.

Tim Hansen directs his teammates.

Tim Hansen directs his teammates.

Haley Richards, Assistant Sports Editor

MACOMB, Ill. – The Western Illinois men’s soccer team continued their spring season this past weekend. The Leathernecks played in back-to-back games against two different schools. The first game was against Central Methodist University and they lost by a score of 1-0, the second game was against Wheaton College and the score was 1-1.

Central Methodist is an NAIA school located in Fayette, Missouri. The Eagles ended their 2017 season ranked 12 nationally in the NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. All except one player on their 14-man roster is an international student.

In a grudge match between the two teams, there was much energy on the field from both the Leathernecks and the Eagles. The game got more and more physical as the game went on. Late in the second half there were a few corner kicks that gave Western a chance to put one in the back of the net but unfortunately, they were not able to overcome the deficit of the early goal by CMU.

The next game of the day was played immediately after their first match. The Division III school, Wheaton College, came out and got a goal fairly quickly into the game. A ball that was bouncing around in the box found the back of the net after being tapped in by one of the Wheaton. Junior goalkeeper Tim Hansen was not happy about this goal after being that the opposing player was left unmarked in the box.

Fortunately, the Leathernecks came back and retaliated off of a goal from senior midfielder Daniel Kadima to tie the game. Each game of the round robin was only 60 minutes as oppose to the regular 90-minute soccer match.

A couple of graduating seniors came back to help Western out in these games. Two of those players were Fernando Pacheco and Alejandro Pacheco. The forward came out this past weekend to give the Leathernecks a deeper bench for the games. Throughout their college careers, both players have significantly impacted the program. Fernando Pacheco received that honor of CoSIDA All-American First Team honor which the organization announced on Thursday, December 7.

“We are very proud of Fernando for both his accomplishments on the field and in the classroom, here at Western Illinois,” said Director of Soccer Eric Johnson. “He is a team leader in every sense of the word and sets the bar high in all that he does.”

He ended the 2017 season with seven goals and one assist and will be greatly missed next season.

“Fernando has excelled in the classroom and on the field his entire career at Western Illinois University,” said Director of Athletics Matt Tanney. “He is most deserving of the award, and we are thrilled his hard work as a scholar and athlete has been recognized at the highest level.”

The Leathernecks only have three more games left in their spring season. They will hit the road for the next two weeks to face Northern Illinois University and Quincy University.

Twitter: hayfourrr