McGregor causes chaos

Brie Coder, Courier Staff

Every sport has that one moment where something goes extremely wrong, that it jeopardizes the future outcome of that business and their athletes. UFC met their match on Thursday when a belligerent Conor McGregor entered the Barclays Center and destroyed the loading dock area. This by far was the most bizarre, yet most mesmerizing event to happen after the UFC 223 press conference.

The main event match was suppose to be Max Holloway, who was replacing Tony Ferguson that had to undergo surgery for his torn LCL, against “The Eagle” Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC Lightweight Championship. This match has been three years in the making, but so many situations occurred causing for this match to be postponed numerous times. McGregor at the moment is the lightweight champion, but hasn’t defended it since he won it against Eddie Alvarez in November of 2016.

After a lot of back and forth about whether McGregor was going to defend his title against the winner of the lightweight match at UFC 223, or have to strip his title since he hasn’t defended it since winning it, White decided that it wasn’t fair for The Notorious McGregor to keep his undefended title. So per White’s request, McGregor was going to give his championship title an official goodbye on Saturday night.

The first set of news that was announced prior to the incident was that McGregor was going to be at the event in Brooklyn, and was personally going to hand in his title, and watch the two fighters duke it out for his former prized possession. However, that wasn’t the case.

When the press conference for UFC 223 was over, instead of hearing news about how the event went and which fighter talked the most smack, we all were drawn to a very violent and unsportsmanlike scenario. If you haven’t seen the video, I highly recommend you find it.

In comes McGregor and 20 or so of his “friends” or as White called them “hooligans.” They all entered the Barclays Center and took an elevator up to the loading dock area. We then see a zombie like McGregor dressed in black from his head down to his feet yelling out to his buddies to smash the windows. The red corner fighters were all on one bus and were about to leave the arena for the day. With his Hulk like strength McGregor took a dolly and smashed it into one of the bus windows, causing for it to shatter and cut fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg.

In one of the UFC videos, you can see Chiesa’s forehead cut right down the middle. Borg also suffered from corneal abrasions. When he was taken to the hospital Borg reported he couldn’t see out of his injured eye. Both Chiesa and Borg’s fights were called off for Saturday’s pay-per-view.

This by far was the oddest, and the most bizarre event to happen. The media blew up on this event and so many questions were being asked. The biggest question was if McGregor was furious that he had to strip his title? He wasn’t angry about losing his title; instead he was there to defend one of his good friends. Artem Lobov, a longtime friend of McGregor’s was talking a lot of smack against one of the lightweight opponents, Nurmagomedov. When Nurmagomedov replied back to the insults, Lobov couldn’t handle it, which led McGregor to come in and cause a scene.

Unfortunately for Lobov, he lost his opportunity to compete on Saturday in the preliminary card against Alex Caceres. Because of McGregor’s outburst three fights were canceled, causing for many fans to cancel their pay-per-view purchases.

In a set of interviews that followed, White was speechless yet frustrated at the same time. He mentioned that if McGregor didn’t make such a fool out of himself, they were going to offer him a new contract that was considered to be the biggest contract signing in UFC history. They were going to have him sign it at the press conference on Thursday, and announce that he was going to compete against Rafael dos Anjos for the interim welterweight title this spring.

Later that night McGregor turned himself in to the police and was released on a $50,000 bail. He appeared in court the next day and was told that he would have a trial on June 14, and was free to head back to his home country of Ireland in the meantime.

This rampage has caused a lot of commotion within the MMA industry. Many are wondering if McGregor was high on drugs when he decided to disrupt the fighters who were focused on their upcoming matches. Some argue that White has a big part in this situation because he only spotlights certain fighters and turns them into money hungry monsters. Whatever the case may be, this event was unacceptable and another controversial situation to add onto the many others that have happened in sports history.

I personally think it could be a reaction from multiple head injuries. The last one he suffered from against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August could’ve been the one that broke the camel’s back.

It’s a very sad thing to see happen. I remember the first fight he ever had and always thinking that he’d forever be my favorite fighter. He represented our Irish heritage and the things we stand for as Celtic warriors. Unfortunately the luck of the Irish wasn’t on his side, and probably won’t be for a long time now. He currently faces three assault charges and one criminal mischief charge. Many more charges are to come.