Arctic Monkeys are back

Brie Coder, Courier Staff

After a five-year wait, the Arctic Monkeys have announced they are in the process of finishing up their sixth studio album “Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino,” and will release it to the public on May 11. This will be the first album that lead vocalist/guitarist Alex Turner has co-produced with their long time collaborator James Ford.

Their last album “AM,” which was released in 2013, was highly praised by music critics. Many music magazines gave the album four out of five stars. Songs off that album include “R U Mine,” “Do I Wanna Know,” “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High” and “One for the Road.”

The Arctic Monkeys began their indie rock career in 2002. Many people call them the modern day Beatles, because they have brought back the British Invasion sound again. Their most well known album “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not” came out in 2006. The album became the fastest selling debut album in British music history, with 360,000 copies sold in the first week of its release. It still currently remains the fastest selling album by the band. It is also the only album that features their original bass player Andy Nicholson before Nick O’Malley replaced him.

This popular album is recognized for the songs “I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor,” “When the Sun Goes Down,” “Dancing Shoes” and “Riot Van.” In England the album reached Platinum five times, and in the United States it reached Gold by the RIAA.

“Favourite Worst Nightmare,” was their second studio album that reached high ratings with 44,000 copies sold in America, and one million sold in England in 2007. “Brainstorm,” “Teddy Picker” and “Fluorescent Adolescent” are three out of the 12 songs that had single song popularity. The album has quite a different sound then their previous album. It’s faster, louder and has a bit of a twang to it.

Josh Homme, lead vocalist/ guitarist of Queens of the Stone Age, co-produced their third studio album “Humbug” in 2009. Popular songs off that album “My Propeller,” “Crying Lightning,” “Cornerstone” and “Pretty Visitors”

“Suck It and See,” surpassed Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” in 2011. Like “Humbug” four singles off their fourth album made the airwaves including “Suck It and See,” “Don’t Sit Down ‘Cause I’ve Moved Your Chair,” “The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala” and “Black Treacle.”

What makes the Arctic Monkeys come back exhilarating is the fact that not one of their albums has ever been lower than four stars. Their music has that chill factor along with a sense of heaviness. We know that this new album of theirs will not disappoint. As of now the band plans to do both a North American and European tour this summer starting in May. They will be making a stop to Chicago in August to be one of the many headlining bands to play at Lollapalooza.