Living on our phones is Unhealthy

Destiny Kerr, Courier Staff

Ever wonder what life would be like without your cell phone? Without having to rely on a single device for all of your social interactions and every day tactics? Well, at this point, I believe that going without advanced technology in this day in age is nearly impossible.

Over the weekend, I rushed out of my dorm to catch the elevator that came up to my floor. I got all the way down to floor one and out the door, when I started to feel uneasy. I could sense that something was missing. It didn’t take me too long to realize that I had left my phone in my room as I was leaving in a hurry.

I’m sure that we all have had this similar experience. And it’s almost like we panic in the absence of this single device. This generation not only holds a mental attachment to modern technology, but a physical one as well. It’s almost scary that our closet bonds are with man- made items.

As we all know, modern day technology consists of more than just cell phones. There’s television, computers, tablets and even watches that can access the internet just as quickly. As a society we are so consumed with our techy gadgets that we interact with the physical world less often. It’s becoming harder for us to socially connect with other people, because we are too consumed in a virtual reality. Personally, I even find it difficult to attend social functions, even family events. Mingling with new faces is especially hard for me once we get passed the greeting phase. It’s like my brain loses signal after “Hey, how’s it going?”

It’s not healthy, I don’t think we should be dedicated to a virtual world. Because we ignore the little things that life has given us and we take them for granted. What ever happened to books and nature, or board games like Twister and Connect Four? Pretty soon we will all become antisocial robots. Reproduction will occur less and less until eventually the entire population will be wiped out (Not really, but you get the picture).

I believed that we are all being brainwashed. As we are eaten alive by technology, we are being fed irrational ideas and beliefs. It is way too easy to access information, or anything for that matter, that we are losing our sense of determination to work for what we want. If something is put right in front of you every single time you’re looking for it, eventually you will get so used to it being there that you will stop looking everywhere else. Our ancestors worked for what they wanted. Even most recent generations such as our parents and grandparents. And here we are, being spoon fed everything like a bunch of helpless babies.

I’m not saying that we should be ashamed of our whereabouts. After all, it’s just the times we’re living in. But what I am saying is that we don’t have to ignore everything else out there. There is so much to live for other than material things. We should cherish what’s around us, and slowly unwrap our minds from the tight constraint of this technological era. Because in the end we’ll regret not living for ourselves, because we were too busy living in our phones.