WrestleMania for the ages

Devon Greene

The biggest weekend of the entire year starts on Saturday for wrestling fans. I, along with millions of other fans will be glued to my television, decked out in my wrestling t-shirts, losing my mind as NXT Takeover New Orleans graces my screen on Saturday, followed by WrestleMania on Sunday.

I’ve been looking forward to WrestleMania since the last WrestleMania ended. A year later, so much has changed in the WWE and storylines have been formed to make one of the most anticipated cards in WrestleMania history. The card is packed with dream matches, WrestleMania debuts and triumphant returns. I legitimately cannot choose a match that I am the most excited for as the show of all shows approaches. However, I can tell you the match I am least excited for.

There has only been one man to main event WrestleMania for four consecutive years and his name is Hulk Hogan. However, he is about to be joined by a man who WWE fans have been rejecting for four straight years Roman Reigns. Reigns is set to face off against Brock Lesnar again in a match that happened at WrestleMania 31, which was three years ago. Reigns has been handpicked by Vince McMahon to be the next superstar to run WWE for the foreseeable future.

WWE has done everything they possibly can to get the Samoan superstar over and have failed at every turn. He’s faced off against the biggest stars and knocked them all down. He beat Triple H for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in one of the most disliked main events of all time at WrestleMania 32. Last year, he defeated a battered Undertaker, who looked like he was on his way out of the wrestling industry. Fans still reject him. Even the most loved superstar in WWE history, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson could get Reigns over.

This year, the rematch from WrestleMania 31 is expected to be the coronation of four years of hard work for Reigns. Those years have felt like an eternity as I bash my head against the wall just waiting for the WWE to push other superstars that deserve the spotlight more than Reigns. The only positive thing that is coming out of this match is that we can finally see this four-year steak come to a close.

On the bright side of things, after two years of waiting and praying for a return, Daniel Bryan is back in action inside a WWE ring. Bryan was forced to retire after a series of concussions that put his health in jeopardy. Bryan has been seeing neurologists for years in hopes of getting back in the ring, and he was cleared for action on March 20. The news shook the entire wrestling community to its core as one of the most over superstars in WWE history can finally return. Bryan is teaming up with Shane McMahon to face off against two of the most captivating heels in the company, Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens. It’s a match that should ease Bryan back into the ring and gives WWE fans an emotional release that may rival his victory over Batista and Randy Orton at WrestleMania 30.

A match that transcends wrestling is the in-ring debut of UFC superstar Ronda Rousey. Rousey has had a polarizing debut in the WWE so far. Die-hard fans doubt her skills on the microphone and her wrestling skills in general, while others want to wait and give her a chance to prove herself. I’m among the group that wants to see Rousey succeed. Ever since her stardom was established in the UFC, I wanted her to move over to WWE so when she did at the Royal Rumble, I completely lost my mind.

Her debut could’ve been better as she just awkwardly pointed at the WrestleMania sign three times. Her mic work could also use some work, but that will come with time. She is set to team up with Olympic gold medalist, Kurt Angle in a match against Triple H and Stephanie McMahon on Sunday. I’m the most excited for this match, because we get to see how Rousey performs in the ring. I cannot wait until she rips McMahon’s arm off like she has been saying for the past few weeks.

The dream match that WWE fans have been begging for since Shinsuke Nakamura debuted on the main roster is also set on Sunday. Nakamura will get his third shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. The title has eluded Nakamura so far, because the WWE decided to throw logic out the window, and put the most prestigious title in WWE history around the waist of a former jobber Jinder Mahal, in the most puzzling booking decision of the entire year. Nakamura will get his hands on one of the best wrestlers in the world, A.J. Styles, as they run back a match that happened in New Japan Pro Wrestling years ago. This has the potential to be the match of the night as the two master-class wrestlers get to show off their genius.

Another match that I’m beyond excited to see and will prove to be the biggest women’s wrestling match in WWE history so far, is the SmackDown Women’s Championship match between Asuka and Charlotte Flair. This match features two of the top three female competitors in the company and will not disappoint fans if they are given the time to develop a complete story. Asuka debuted in NXT in 2015 and hasn’t lost a match since. The last match she lost, she was not even in the WWE yet. It’s been 911 days and she’s competed in 265 matches since coming to the WWE and she has had her hand raised in victory 265 times. She has proved to be the one of the best performers in the company, male or female. She’s become one of the most over superstars on the roster, even with the language barrier that she continues to fight through.

Flair has cemented herself among the top of the food chain in the women’s division for the past couple of years. She is the toughest competitor Asuka has faced so far, but Asuka has worked far too hard for far too long to lose the streak at WrestleMania. I expect Asuka to put down the queen of the women’s division in a match that is sure to be breathtaking.

This WrestleMania has the potential to be the best ever. The card is completely stacked, and fans can only hope that the matches get the time to show the talent of every single superstar. The pre-show starts at 3:30 p.m. and you can bet I’ll be glued to my television for six and a half hours until the end of the biggest event of the year.