Don’t fight over a guy with your friends

Donnetta Shanklin, Opinions Writer

The term dibs relates all the way back to the 18th century. The term in short means when there’s something you want, whether it’s something someone else wants, or if it is for your own benefit, you would call dibs on it. How the term was used back then is quite similar to how it is used now. If someone wants something, if they say that word, in the end it belongs to them. This can be calling dibs on anything really. The time when it becomes questionable is when a girl calls dibs on a guy. Back in middle school, or elementary school, or whenever one had their first crush, they would call dibs on them and then the other people would back off. Well, at least that’s how the game is supposed to go. Girls are not always the nicest and do not follow the rule, but that is the whole point of the word. It is like that so people don’t try going after the same guy. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. It all depends on the situation really.

If one is actually following girl code and respecting the value of the word “dibs” then this would never be a problem, however when someone really likes someone, it doesn’t matter if someone else says dibs or not, they will go after what they want, which is completely unfair. The term is also used only between friends and close friends. If you are just classmates and/or acquaintances, the term does not apply. If someone is a good friend and they know that their friend likes the guy, they will let dibs be applied. Again, this is not always the case. The heart wants what it wants, but if someone is willing to be a good friend, they will set their feelings aside and do what’s best for their friend.

I personally like calling dibs because there is a clear distinction on who gets the guy. If one of your friends tries to go after them, that’s not very fair or friendly because you called it. It may be hard at first, but I’ve gone through this plenty of times, and in the end, it’s worth seeing your friend happy. There’s plenty of fish in the sea and maybe one may think that the guy they want is meant to be, but that’s not always the case.

Guys should never come between girls and if that happens, maybe one wasn’t as great of a friend as one thought they were. The whole point of girl code versus guy code is that guys stick with guys and girls stick with girls. At the end of the day, guys have each other’s backs, and at the end of the day, girls have each other’s backs too.

Each gender needs to stick together. Girls specifically because they handle heartbreak much differently. When a girl calls dibs on a guy, it’s usually because they can see themselves with him. If one is a good friend, they will let their friend call dibs and just accept it and move on. It may hurt at first, but in the end, it gets easier