Western Greek Life turns 75

Josh Bowling, Courier Staff

Western Illinois University is celebrating 75 years of Greek life with a social on April 14, and a Greek awards reception the following day put on by the Western Alumni Association and The Office of Student Activities.

On Saturday, April 14 an alumni social will be held at Sports Corner in Macomb from 6-9 p.m. At the social there will be a bar serving drinks, complimentary appetizers while they last, and door prize drawings. This social will give an opportunity for Western alumni to catch up, share stories, and reminisce about their college days.

Walk-in is an option for the social, but pre-registering is preferred. You can register by contacting the Alumni Association by email at A-Association@wiu.edu or at 309-298-1914.

“I was excited to work together with the Office of Student Activities to put together this event” said Amy Spelman, Director of Alumni Programs for the Western Alumni Association. “This event will be great opportunity for alumni to meet up and socialize.”

These events are just a few of the many events to celebrate 75 years of Greek life.

“We also had an alumni social last summer and for the 2017 Homecoming where we celebrated the history of Greek life here at Western” said Spelman.

On Sunday the 75th Anniversary Celebration at the annual Greek Week Fraternity/Sorority Awards Reception will occur from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the University Union Grand Ballroom. Many awards will be given out that day such as fraternity man of the year and chapter excellence awards.

A presentation will be shown at the event chronicling the history and traditions of Western Greek life. Special recognition will be given to the first Greek chapters at Western, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity and Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority