MLK’s dream still isn’t realized

Mark Tolliver, Courier Staff

As we embark on Wednesday, April 4, 2018, we remember and commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., in Memphis, Tennessee. Dr. King was born on Jan. 15, 1929, in Atlanta, GA. Dr. King lived a very influential and profound life that affected the world; past, present and future.

Dr. King lived during the times of deep segregation and prejudice toward African-Americans. Dr. King’s ultimate dream and vision for this world was equality and justice for all; no matter the race or color. Dr. King worked tenaciously and tirelessly day after day to see equality. King has been through torture, pain, blood, sweat and tears to fight for African-Americans freedom and equality for all.

On this day, we reflect on King’s well-lived life, his profound work, his touching and motivational speeches and his legacy that lives on for future generations.

Looking at Dr. King’s ultimate dream for equality, we evaluate King’s dream. The question is, ‘Are we living out King’s dream?’

When we as a country see African-Americans voting and have had an African-American president for two consecutive years, we say King’s dream has been fulfilled. On the contrary, when we see the homicide rates among the African-American race and the police brutality towards African-Americans; and more targeted Black men; we rethink our thoughts that King’s dream has not been fulfilled.

In my opinion, King’s dream hasn’t been fulfilled. The definition of fulfillment is to satisfy and successfully carry out a specific command/duty. Dr. King’s dream was for everyone to be considered equal. He devoted his life to making sure that his dream would become reality. But, at this point in society, we have not fulfilled his dream and we have a while to go for his entire dream to be fulfilled. In today’s society, where we still see underlying segregation, racism and prejudices in the academic, work and social worlds, we have some work to do. I think that his dream has not been fulfilled; there are still restrictions on the Black race.

When our race is a factor that affects determining financial aid offers, admission to certain groups, promotions, etc we see that we aren’t all equal. When we see more of one race in certain leadership and administration positions we begin to realize that not all of us are equal. When we see more of one race on a certain job we can assume that King’s dream hasn’t been fulfilled.

This country sees many people of one race get off free when it is clear and evident that the suspect is indeed guilty. This country sees too many police brutalitites along with shootings/killings at one targeted race. This is proof that the dream of King’s hasn’t happened just yet.

We have a long way to go as a human race to fulfill King’s dream. When our country can aid and assist in the growth and promotion of all races together, we can then say King’s dream has been fulfilled. When we begin to see equality amongst races; in leadership positions, in great positions of wealth and other areas we can then say that King’s dream has been fulfilled.

Let’s continue to live out Dr. King’s dream and bring equality for all.