Track and field to compete in first home meet

Jasmine+Brown+in+mid-air+during+long+jump+event.+

Jasmine Brown in mid-air during long jump event.

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

CAPE GIRARDEUA, Mo.— The Western Illinois track and field teams participated in the Southeast Missouri’s Joey Haines Invitational, with the women scoring third out of ten teams and the men coming in at sixth out of ten teams as well.

It was another meet with terrible running conditions, due to the rain as well as the extreme wind conditions. However the meet still had to go on.

“On the whole, the team competed well, despite the inclement weather. Rain and wind can always be a part of the outdoor season. It’s important for our athletes to learn how to adapt to adverse conditions and still get the job done,” said head coach Diane Wholey.

She was happy with her team, as four of her athletes recorded personal bests, and some even an all-time program score. The first to do so was sophomore Abigail Richter in the 3000-meter steeple chase run.

She came in second, being one of the better performances of the day for the Leathernecks and ran a 11:22.52. That time not only surpassed her old PR she set not too long ago, but also ranked her at sixth all-time for Western in the event.

Two other Leathernecks were able to notch second place finishes, though no one was able to rally for first. Senior Raytoria Richardson ran a time of 26.17 seconds to get herself second in the 200-meter dash, while sophomore Josh Kirby ran 15.55 in the 110-mmeter hurdles, placing him in second as well.

Freshman Nick Olson had himself a day as he came out with two new PR’s of his own in the both discuss and the javelin throw. He came in second in the former with a throw of 36.48 meters and finished mid-pack (50.30 meters) in the latter.

Other feats in the field events were accomplished by sophomore Michaela Busch as she finished fifth in the long jump (5.58 meters). Coming in at fourth right before her was her junior teammate Jasmine Brown who jumped a mark of 5.74 meters. Busch later placed third in the 100-meter hurdles as well (15.41 seconds) to round out her day.

Junior Darius Patterson kept things rolling with two PR’s. First in the 200-meter dash where he placed fifth (22.93 seconds) and then later in the 100-meter where he finished in seventh (11.03 seconds).

In the end it was the University of Southeast Missouri that took first on both the men’s and women’s sides, but Western will still be pleased with the way they performed. They will host there one and only home meet of the year this weekend as they put on the Lee Calhoun Memorial.

“It’s always great to compete at home and have a chance to celebrate our seniors for their last home contest. I am also very excited to celebrate Coach Lee Calhoun’s legacy at Western Illinois University,” said Wholey.

twitter: bradjp08