Spend your money on what you want

Donnetta Shanklin, Opinions Writer

Growing up, many people get called out for having the hottest name brand clothes, shoes, cars, makeup, etc. If you had name brand stuff, you were spoiled or stuck up. Lots of people said it was “mommy’s money or daddy’s money.” People even thought there was no point to buying high end products and it was just a waste of money. I was one of those people until I started working for what I wanted.

It is quite embarrassing to remember that I used to think like that. You would never catch me with some name brand item, unless I got it on clearance. Don’t get me wrong clearance shopping is great and all, but I would never pay for something full price. I thought what was the point because you can get the same type of stuff at Walmart, Target, Kohls, etc. it wasn’t until I got my first job at 15 years old when I knew why people bought what they bought. I had enough money to finally get a Michael Kors purse that I’d been wanting. To this day I still think they’re a bit overpriced but I never regretted getting the purse. It’s a brown leather bag that was about $400 originally, but I got it for $190 at TJ Maxx. The great thing about TJ Maxx is that they have all the name brand items for much less. I was hesitant to buy it because I didn’t have a lot of money. But the person who had it on hold canceled, so I went in and bought it.

About a weekend after I got it, I was sneaking snacks into the movies. I brought in the soda and when I got home from the movie, I realized I spilled it all over my purse. That was the worst time of my life because I thought I just ruined a $400 purse, but all I had to do was take a cloth and wipe the inside of it, and it was clean. Kors uses a special silk like fabric inside the purses so when you spill it, it doesn’t get ruined. I remember having spilled a red drink and I for sure thought my purse was a no go but it wiped clean and was as good as new. That was the moment when I knew that buying name brand things wasn’t actually that bad.

From that moment on I would buy name brand makeup and things like that just to test out the waters. Sometimes I get credit for buying name brand makeup but people don’t realize how much use I get out of it. I bought a $70 foundation a year and a half ago and I used to wear makeup every day, and it’s only halfway gone. I can’t speak for all makeup products, but for the makeup I purchased, which happens to be a name brand, it’s lasted at least a year or two for me. You can compare this to going to Walmart and it honestly adds up to about the same because the makeup doesn’t always last, which means you have to replace it. It’s really what you put into it, not everything is actually overpriced. And even if it is overpriced, if you take care of your items they can last a long time. Growing up and seeing the benefits of high-end products, I understand why people spend the money that they do on them.

It’s not a bad thing if you’re working for your money. If one wants to spend their money on those type of things then so be it ,because in the end it will benefit you because you will get your money’s worth out of the makeup