Don’t pull mean pranks

Emma Johnson, Courier Staff

With April Fool’s Day directly in our rearview mirror, I’m sure lots of you had pranks pulled on you or even did a few to others. April Fool’s Day is said to have originated in European countries with evidence of it dating all the way back to the 1500’s. It is a day to pull sly pranks on your friends and family and get out the whoopee cushion and say, “April Fool’s!”

When choosing what pranks to pull, you have to be cautious of your audience and what they will take lighthearted and what they might not. With all the comedy that this holiday brings, there are some pranks that are simply not funny. A prank that is all too famous is the fake pregnancy prank. The girl gets a fake positive pregnancy tests and announces she’s pregnant only to later turn around and claim something like, “April fool’s, I totally got you guys.” In 2016, Gwen Stefani even posted a fake sonogram on Instagram for her own April Fool’s prank with the caption, “It’s a girl!” However, this prank goes a lot deeper than a light holiday prank.

Troubles with infertility and miscarriages are an issue many women face. According to The Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 12 percent of women age 15-44 have trouble getting pregnant. Very Well Family even reported that almost 20 percent of pregnancies would end up as a miscarriage in the first trimester. For a young couple wanting to start a family, trouble with pregnancy and miscarriages can be devastating. There are couples that may go nearly five or more years just trying to become pregnant, and there are couples that can’t get pregnant at all. Because of this, fake pregnancy’s as an April Fool’s joke should not be taken lightly.

Facebook has recently gone viral with a post alerting the public about the hurtful effects of this April Fool’s prank. The post is a positive pregnancy test picture alongside a quote that says, “1 in 4 of your friends will have lost a baby and 1 in 6 will be suffering with infertility. Pregnancy is not a joke, be more creative this April Fool’s.” This post has stirred up a lot of controversy in the social media world. The comments are flooded with people sharing their own personal stories of struggling with infertility and miscarriages. The viral spread of this post is aimed to help people, especially young teenagers, understand the damage they could cause by taking this prank too far.

April Fool’s day is an awesome way to stir up some humor among your family and prank them when they are least expecting it. However, we have to still be aware of where the line is and to not take our jokes too far out of context. Infertility and miscarriages are a sensitive subject and have effected many of our loved ones lives or even our own. Like the Facebook post says, please be more creative on April Fool’s day.