Remembering the magic of Harry Potter

Tea Wheat, Entertainment Writer

Growing up, many of us were captivated by the idea of magic, which is why there is no doubt that the world of witchcraft and wizardry stole the hearts of so many. Dreaming we weren’t solely muggles, we would await our letters to Hogwarts, but upon age 11 when no letter would arrive, we all had to face the unbearable truth. We are muggles.

Years later we realized that Harry, Ron and Hermoine are just actors, but they’re muggles as well. The love of magic slowly slips from our grasp as we continue in life, but every now and then it is good to take time and reflect back. A full marathon of the Harry Potter movies takes approximately 20 hours, with no breaks, to re-watch the classic films.

While marathoning these iconic movies, you may begin to wonder where the actors and actresses from the Harry Potter films are now. Young Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint were all cast for the first Harry Potter film at age 11. Now, these stars are in their late 20’s and are still doing great things, unfortunately these great things no longer involve magic (unless you are thinking of “Beauty and the Beast,” of course).

Radcliffe, who is known for his role as Harry in the Harry Potter films, has continued his successful career as an actor throughout the years. Most recently, Radcliffe starred in the biographical survival drama “Jungle,” which came out in 2017. This movie received decent reviews, with 6.7 out of 10 stars on IMDb. In the years leading up to 2017, Radcliffe also took part in movies such as “Swiss Army Man” and “Horns,” which were very different in style. Radcliffe’s flexibility as an actor is by far one of his greatest strengths.

Grint, who played Ron in the Harry Potter films, has also continued with a successful acting career. He has taken part in both traditional and voice acting films throughout the last years. “Underdogs” and “Postman Pat” were two of the movies that Grint was a voice actor in. Voice acting isn’t easier than normal acting, and this really shows Grint’s strength as an actor to gravitate toward this type of acting. Additionally, Grint starred in “Moonwalkers,” a film about moon landing conspiracy theories that came out in 2015.

Watson, known for her role as Hermione in the Harry Potter films, has been exceptionally busy recreating herself as an actress. Watson has been starring in films that are just as influential as the Harry Potter films. Most recently, Watson starred in the live action rendition of “Beauty and the Beast” as Belle in 2017. Those born in the mid to late 2000’s will not know Watson as Hermione as the 90’s kids did, but rather as Princess Belle. Another recent success of Watson’s was her performance “The Circle,” a techno-thriller film. Watson continues to hold herself with the same strength, determination and class as you imagine Hermione would (if Hermione was real, of course).

Overall, these three young stars have grown over the past 17 years in such exceptional ways. They have all discovered their strengths and weaknesses, and have used.