Race shouldn’t matter in trials

Destiny Kerr, Courier Staff

Recently, a video has surfaced in the media of OJ Simpson supposedly admitting to killing his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, as well as her friend, Ronald Goldman. “I loved her, but I wasn’t in love with her,” said Simpson, “and to some degree I didn’t really like her.” The video was from an interview with Fox conducted in 2006. But it was recently “found” by the network as they were promoting a two-hour special about Simpson and the alleged killing, which was to air this year. In the interview, Simpson speaks “hypothetically” of what might have happened on the night of the murders.

He then goes on to say he remembered grabbing a knife from his friend, Charlie, who had followed him into the house in the middle of a heated dispute between Nicole, Ronald and him. “To be honest, after that I don’t remember. Except there’s all kind of blood and stuff around,” Simpson said. However, looking back at the trial, and the time period in which it took place, it had a lot more to do with Simpson’s skin color than the murders themselves. No matter how obvious it was that Simpson killed his wife, to the public, it was a matter of watching a black man beat a system that has decimated black people for years.

After the reading of the verdict, a clear line was drawn as to who supported the judge’s decision and who didn’t. The variation of reactions and emotions differed largely between Caucasians and the minority population. Most of the people who cheered in excitement happened to be people of color. Whereas many white people hung their heads in sorrow and disappointment. But amongst the minority population, I think it’s safe to say they were celebrating the victory of a black man who overcame the grip of the judicial system, which, as we know, has seldom ruled in our favor.

Even today, with the senseless killings of young black men by white police officers, racial profiling, and the thousands of minorities in jail for crimes they were falsely convicted of, there hasn’t been much change of the injustices done to people of color. At the time, it was just refreshing to see a black man come out on top for a change, and that’s why there were so many cheers from the African American and Hispanic communities.

A big part of it may have been that Simpson was a celebrity. He had the money to pay for top-of-the-line lawyers, and he had major support from his fanbase. Had he just been another black man, he would have lost the case and been found guilty for the murders he may, or may not have commited. I’ve noticed the trend of celebrities getting off for things any regular citizen would have been convicted for. For example, R-Kelly, another well known celebrity who has had constant run ins with the law, was found not guilty for having sex with, and urinating on an underaged girl on tape. Nonetheless, I think it’s safe to say that if Simpson was just an ordinary black man, he would have definitely been found guilty.

Many questions still remain about the video of Simpson, and why it took this long for this video to hit mainstream media. We should all commend others for doing what’s right. If Simpson did murder those people, he was in the wrong. Whether he was White, Black, Asian or Hispanic, his race shouldn’t have changed the circumstances of the verdict. More importantly, his race should not have given others an excuse to commend him for his wrong doings.