Alumni celebration fundraiser

William Turkington, Courier Staff

To celebrate the University Union at Western Illinois University’s 50th anniversary, the school has announced fundraising plans for the Alumni Plaza Project, and the adjoining Mascot Memorial Plaza.

The Alumni Plaza Project consists of a brick patio outside the north entry of the University Union. The Mascot Memorial Plaza, which plays tribute to Western’s mascot Colonel Rock, will be just on the edge of the Alumni Plaza.

The plaza project will see the full replacement of the brick pavers, currently in the circular plaza in-between the Union and Hanson Field. The new, engraved pavers will present an opportunity for individuals or groups to leave their legacy as part of the University.

Bricks can be purchased in two sizes. Large bricks are seven inches by 14 inches, can include up to four lines of text, and up to 25 characters per line for $225. Small bricks are four inches by eight inches, can include three lines of text, and up to 16 characters per line for $100.

The first deadline for brick purchases, that will be installed before Homecoming 2018, is July 1. After the initial deadline, orders will continue to be received, with those bricks seeing cement the following summer. Initial construction work will begin in the summer of 2018.

Individuals who are interested in purchasing a brick may do so to commemorate a present or past graduate, memorialize a valued individual, campus organization, fraternity or sorority, a Leatherneck team, or a local business.

The project has a fundraising goal of $75,000. Just days after the announcement, nearly $5,000 in donations have already been collected from 35 donors.