Students to present research this month, abstracts due April 6th

William Turkington, Courier Staff

The Thomas E. Helm Undergraduate Research Day will be held April 18, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., in the University Union.

The Undergraduate Research Day provides students with a forum to conduct undergraduate research, scholarship or creative activity. Students from all academic disciplines are welcomed and encouraged to submit their faculty mentored research, scholarship, or creative activity. Submissions can be either completed or in-progress and the deadline for submissions is April 6.

Research, scholarship, or creative activity can be presented either as a poster presentation or a podium or performance presentation.

The poster method uses a poster as the primary means of showcasing their project. Presenters are encouraged to have an abstract, an introduction, a discussion of methodology, a conclusion statement, and an indication of the project’s actual or potential contribution to knowledge, understanding, or appreciation.

The podium or performance sessions are best utilized for oral or creative presentation, and may be aided by audio/visual expressions like PowerPoints. Each podium session is no more than 10 minutes and each performance presentation is no more than 20 minutes. All presentations will be delivered in a group setting.

The presentations should be limited to three or less presenters per presentation. Question and answer sessions will be held at the end of each session.

Last year’s performance presentation winners were Nathalie Hernandez, Luciana Hontila, Vlad Hontila, and Giorgi Khatalev, who performed “The American Quartet” from the school of music. Their faculty sponsor was Istvan Szabo.

Hannah Knox, Janelle Hohenberry and Briana Michael’s work on “Prevalence of Microorganism Growth on Name Badges of Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit Healthcare Workers” from the school of Nursing won the poster presentation. Faculty members Julie Baylor and Patricia Eathington assisted them.

Lastly, Allison Hartman’s “Examination of Pool Fingers from the Blauhohle Cave System, Germany,” courtesy of the Department of Geology, bagged first place among podium presentations. Professor Leslie Melim helped supervise the project.

Questions can be submitted to Alex Geisler of the Centennial Honors College at an-geisler@wiu.edu or go to wiu.edu to make a submission.