Track ready to ride momentum

Brie Coder, Copy Editor

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. — After their first successful outdoor meet of the season last Saturday, the Western Illinois track and field teams are ready to keep the momentum going, as they take on the Southeast Missouri Redhawks at the Joey Haines Invite this Friday and Saturday.

Last Saturday, the Leathernecks traveled to Carbondale, Illinois and competed in the Southern Illinois Invite. The Purple and Gold came out with seven personal records as well as Leatherneck all-time marks.

Sophomore Michaela Busch set the bar high for her competitors, as she competed in three individual events, which placed her with high marks and new records. Busch won the high jump event with a 1.65 meter mark. Because of this high score, she is tied for ninth highest finish in Western’s record book. Her second personal best came in the javelin with 31.04 meters. The final event she was in was the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.53.

Freshman Amelia Peterson was right behind Busch, as she competed in three events this past weekend. She led her team in both the long jump (4.98 meters) and triple jump (11.18 meters). She finished off strong in the 100-meter dash clocking in at 13.12.

More personal records were made by the women’s division. Freshman Victoria Adesola landed at 10.56 meters in the triple jump. Sophomores Abigail Richter and Nicole Beebe both had impressive times in their running events. Richter came in at 4:57.02 in the 1,500-meter run, and Beebe came in at 18:09.71 in the 5,000-meter run. Out of 22 female athletes in the 5,000-meter run, both Beebe and Richter placed in the top-ten.

In the men’s division, freshman Nick Olson captured the best finish of the day with a second place javelin throw of 46.19 meters. Sophomore Josh Kirby and junior Josh Thomas placed in the top-ten in the 110-meter hurdles. Patterson came in at 22.68 and freshman Jace Norman at 22.77.

Kirby came in at fifth (15.16) and Thomas in seventh (15.27). Finishing up the personal bests were the 200-meter dash competitors. Junior Darius Patterson came in at 22.68 and freshman Jace Norman at 22.77.

Meanwhile in Missouri, the Redhawks are practicing and preparing to outshine the Purple and Gold. Their goal is to be the hometown champions in this upcoming event. Last Saturday, the Redhawks competed in the Al Schmidt Bulldog Relays in Starkville, Tennessee. Like the Leathernecks, several men and women on the Southeast Missouri team had high finishes and new regional records.

In the 1500-meter run, senior Eilish Overby had a fifth place finish with a time of 4:51.82. Junior Rachel Hutchcraft placed ninth in the women’s 5000-meter run, finishing in at 18:16.63, which makes it 52nd best in the region.

In the men’s division, graduate student Chris Martin placed first in the men’s triple jump reaching 15.65 meters in the final round. Martin currently sits third in the regional rankings with this triple jump mark. Sophomore Jonathan Engelking placed fourth in the men’s javelin with a throw of 67.72 meters. He remains in eighth place in regional rankings after his performance this last weekend.

These are just several of the Redhawks that the Leathernecks will have to watch out for this weekend. The events begin this Friday at 9 a.m.