McDonough County Trauma Care Conference

On Friday, April 13, the McDonough County InterAgency Council will be hosting a conference revolving around trauma care.

Last month, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution that recognizes the importance of how to care for individuals who are struggling with trauma. Wisconsin Representative Mike Gallagher, introduced House Bill of Resolution 443.

The event, which is open to the public free of charge, will kick off at 11 a.m.

Social service agencies from the local area will be showing tabletop displays, while also offering information about trauma research. Next, a discussion on cognitive development and the effect of trauma can be heard from 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. The discussion will be hosted by Jeanne Koehler from the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.

Running from 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. will be a discussion on how to make schools and neighborhoods more informed on trauma. Jill Reedy, from the Macon/Piatt Regional Office of Education, will be leading the conversation.

At 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m., the president of Chaddock, Debbie Reed, will be offering advice on how to help kids who are dealing with trauma. Picking up from there, a panel discussion on the best tactics for counselors, teachers, nurses and policemen to use to combat trauma will take place until 4 p.m.

Rounding out the conference will be several “breakout sessions,” which will run for roughly one hour. Among those sessions are presentations from West Prairie School District Superintendent Carol Kilver, Western Assistant Professor of Psychology Kristy Keefe, and Western Counseling members Terri Schaffer and JoAnn Bloomberg.

The conference’s sponsors include the Western Illinois University College of Education and Human Services, Western’s Department of Health Sciences and Social Work, the Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs at Western, the McDonough County InterAgency Council, the Regional Office of Education and the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.

All events will take place in room 78 of Horrabin Hall, except for the tabletop displays, which will be in Horrabin Hall gym.

To find more information on the conference, visit wiu.edu/ coehs/iac2018