BOT meets today to discuss student costs

Nicholas Ebelhack, editor-in-chief

The Western Illinois University Board of Trustees will meet today at 8 a.m. in the University Union Capitol room for their quarterly meeting to consider items such as tuition rates for FY 19 and the 2018-2019 cost guarantees for the fall semester’s incoming students.

Per the proposal, the recommendation being made is a zero percent increase in both undergraduate and graduate tuition and fees for FY 19, remaining at $284.70 per credit hour for new undergraduate students and at $323.64 per credit hour for new graduate students.

The agenda also includes a proposal for the board to call for “the immediate restoration of fair and predictable funding to Illinois public higher in general and Western Illinois University in particular. ”

In addition, items pertaining to room and board/housing rates, student fees and student health insurance fees for FY 19 are also to be presented. The recommendation proposed is a zero percent increase across all student fee categories.

The meeting will also consist of reports from the Higher Learning Commission, the President’s Executive Institute and Facilities Management. Vice President for Quad Cities and Planning Joe Rieves is also expected to present the quarterly update for “Higher Values in Higher Education.”