Road work to continue soon: Randolph and Calhoun to undergo construction through August

Mayor Mike Inman and Alderman Gayle Carper speak at Monday's City Council meeting.

Regarding a construction project, Public Works Director Scott Coker, indicated that a stretch of road on both Randolph Street and Calhoun Street would undergo significant work at Monday’s City Council meeting.

The budget for the project is $370,000, and according to Coker, it will be completed for $320,000.

The project, which is expected to be finished by August, involves digging up antique bricks within the street. When asked if the bricks can be saved, Coker was doubtful. “There is value to the bricks, but it’s a lot of work in preserving them.”

A decline in student enrollment at Western may be a cause for concern for the project. The state of Illinois matches money generated by Macomb, and the town now has to rely less on student enrollment. Nonetheless, Macomb is still expected to receive full matched funding this year.

With a public comments section filled with members of the Western Illinois University Athletic Training Program, the Macomb City Council announced that March would be dubbed “Athletic Training Month.”

Wearing their school colors, the group was pleased to be recognized for their work.

Chauntel Vance was congratulated on becoming 2018’s Miss Macomb. The pageant, put on by the Miss Macomb Scholarship Organization, took place on Feb. 24, and has been a tradition for 55 years.

Next, Alderman Gayle Carper encouraged the public to celebrate the accomplishments of women in America since March is National Women’s History Month. Carper praised four local women in particular: Martha Klems, Maurine Magliocco, Paula Wise and Sally Egler.

The council then recognized several student organizations that made generous contributions to charity, including all 45 members from the fraternity Alpha Sigma Alpha, who participated in the polar plunge for the Special Olympics of Illinois. The event, which took place at Spring Lake in Macomb, had a total of 100 participants.

Taking place on the same day was a fundraising run for the American Cancer Society. An impressive 130 people showed up to the event, which was organized by the sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma. To a round of applause, Mayor Michael Inman announced that a Western program raised $135,000 for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The group, which is called Dance Marathon, held a 12-hour dancing event open to the community on Feb. 24. This year’s donations topped the previous year’s by over $10,000. The various charitable contributions are greatly appreciated. “These causes indicate the caliber of individuals attending WIU,” said the mayor, “We are thankful for them.”