Eight arrested following weekend Thompson fight

Steven Barnum, Courier Staff

A large fight in Western Illinois University Thompson Hall led to the arrest of seven students and one non-student, each charged with mob action.

The fight broke out in the dining center on Saturday, March 3, with students nearby to witness. A video of the conflict was shared on Twitter, and has been re-tweeted over 600 times.

What began to look like several isolated altercations ended up escalating into one large fight as seen in the video. Several punches can be seen being thrown and landed, while students piled on top of one another.

The students ranged from 18 to 20 years old, and they were residents of Tanner Hall and Henninger Hall. One additional person, a non-student from Chicago, was also arrested.

All eight individuals were processed and lodged at the McDonough County Jail between 12:26 a.m. and 7:56 p.m., and indefinite suspensions have been issued to the students, who are now prohibited from stepping foot on University property.

The incident prompted a response from University President Jack Thomas, who was understandably disappointed with what took place.

“Fighting and other acts of violence are not tolerated at our University,” said Thomas. “We will not allow those select few individuals to mar our University’s good name and detract from the great things we are doing at WIU.”

An investigation of the incident is ongoing.