Letter to the Editor

The Editorial Board

Governor Rauner apparently mixed up his holidays for release of his FY2018 budget because obviously his proposal was better meant for April Fool’s than Valentine’s day.

He has got to be kidding.

He proposes to offload more costs on local governments further shortchanging our schools that are already confronting serious funding challenges. The main issue is

the governor’s plan to shift staff pension costs from the state to our school districts. This plan would force our communities to come up with more local money (yes, even higher property taxes) just to keep our school budgets balanced. This takes place at a time when school costs are going up and as we struggle to attract and retain quality teachers and administrators because of low salaries and declining benefits.

Every public school district in rural Illinois struggles to find the funding that we need

to give our kids a first class education. I hear that from parents, staff, teachers and administrators wherever I go in the 93rd District. We need top quality schools not

only to educate our kids but to help reverse decades of population loss and economic stagnation. Governor Rauner’s proposal is a cruel joke on rural communities that deserve better.

I’m running for State Representative because this district needs new leadership, new

ideas and a new voice for rural areas like ours. I’ll stand for budgets that reflect the

right priorities for our region, starting with our local schools.

John Curtis

State Representative Candidate