Stop slamming that snooze button

Allison Young, Opinions Writer

Waking up in the morning seems to be the greatest challenge I face every single day. I hit my snooze alarm multiple times, and then have to rush to class because I am too lazy to wake up. A nap is a part of my daily routine and without it, I would probably not make it through the second half of my busy day. So why is it that I feel like I never get enough sleep?

 I know that I cannot be the only one that feels this way. After some experimenting and time spent on the Internet I found ways to improve my energy, and hopefully I can give others tips that have worked for me.

 First of all, the winter weather takes a toll on all of us. We all tend to be a bit more lethargic because we are not exposed to as much sunlight as we would be during the summer. So to help out with this I have found that taking a vitamin D pill is extremely helpful. Another thing that gives me energy is going to the gym. Starting your morning at the gym is one of the best ways to get your day started. It might be hard to wake up ,but it is so much easier to get through the day if you make yourself get up and go.

 The second thing I have found that changes my energy level is drinking water throughout the day and avoiding junk food. When I eat junk food I never have any energy to do anything and that is when I feel the need to nap.

 Although napping is my favorite hobby, I do not get anything productive done afterwards. The days I choose to eat healthy are the days that I see the difference in my energy levels versus the days when I chose to eat badly.

 The most important factor on getting through your day is to get enough sleep. The average person should get eight hours of sleep a night. Obviously as busy college students that does not always happen, but it is not a healthy habit to get only four or five hours of sleep every night. I have found that if I go to the library and do my homework after class I do not have to stay up super late at night to get everything done.

 Getting a good night’s sleep is the best thing you can do to have enough energy for the long days at school.

 Although it may be challenging to stay in a routine, all of these tips have changed my lifestyle tremendously. I still struggle to stay awake and motivated on some days, but with these few changes I feel like I can get through my day without a nap.

 There are numerous other ways to gain more energy, but these ones seem to have the best results for me. Not all of these things may work the best for you; but at least give new things a try and see what works best for you.