Men’s basketball wins second conference game

Dalan Ancrum gets ahead of the defense for a fast-break opportunity.

Becca Langys, Photo Editor

MACOMB, Ill.- The Western Illinois men’s basketball team took on Oral Roberts University this past Saturday. The Leathernecks secured their second conference win of the season against the Golden Eagles with a final score of 82-56, putting their overall record at 11-11.

To begin the game, the Leathernecks came out strong, thanks to freshman point guard Kobe Webster who sunk a 3-point shot, earning the first points of the game for Western. The Leathernecks ran with this lead for a while until they fell behind the Golden Eagles, thanks to a dunk by Oral Robert’s player Emmanuel Nzekwesi. Western did not stay at this point deficit for very long, however, taking the lead again after a successful shot by senior guard/forward Dalan Ancrum.

The Leathernecks were only down for a short period of time during the game. Once Western regained the lead over Oral Roberts, they ran with it and did not allow for the Golden Eagles to come close to regaining a winning scoring position.

During the first half of this matchup, the Leathernecks were led offensively by Ancrum, who earned a total of 14 points. Closely following Ancrum was Webster who earned a total of 10 points during this first half.

Leading the Leathernecks defensively, junior center Brandon Gilbeck and junior forward Jalen Morgan both had one block during the first half of the game.

The team finished off the first half with a 38-19 lead over the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, putting them in a prime position to come out on top during the second half of this matchup.

As the second half of the game rolled around, the energy coming from the Leatherneck bench was that of no other. Western came out ready to have yet another successful half, giving them the motivation that they needed to not only maintain their lead, but increase it.

While Oral Roberts put the first points on the board during the half, the Leathernecks had no problem maintaining their momentum.

Ancrum put points on the board early in the game, that ensured the Golden Eagles would have an extremely tough time coming back for the victory.

Not only did the Leathernecks bring momentum to the court that helped them maintain their lead, they also brought a strong shooting game as well. Western’s shooters shined throughout the second half of this match. Leading the Leathernecks offensively, both Ancrum and Webster earned a total of 11 points for the Leathernecks. Closely following was Gilbeck with a total of 10 points. Delo Bruster also put his name on the board, earning a total of seven points.

Defensively Gilbeck led the team again earning a total of three blocks during the second half of the match.

The Leathernecks finished the game with an 82-56 lead over the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles. Head Coach Billy Wright was more than pleased with his team’s performance, stating, “Give our kids all of the credit, they came out and executed the game-plan on both ends of the floor.”

This current season has been a struggle for the Leathernecks in regards to getting some wins in conference, and finally pulling out their second conference win is an achievement that will boost the momentum of the team for future games to come.

The Leathernecks will play against the University of Nebraska Omaha this upcoming Thursday in Omaha, Nebraska.

Twitter: beccalangysxo