Swim and dive sink at home

Leatherneck swimmer backstrokes in a relay.

Goleathernecks.com

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

MACOMB Ill. – The Western Illinois women’s swim and dive team took back to the pool for the first time in about a month in a half. The last time the Leathernecks were in competition was back on Dec. 2, when they were edged 123-81, on senior day, to the Truman State University Bulldogs.

Returning to Brophy Hall, Western hosted a dual meet with the visiting University of Northern Iowa Panthers and fell short 187-102. The Leathernecks didn’t get the results they had wanted, but head coach Greg Naumann was confident in his team saying, “Despite having some very difficult workouts the past couple of weeks over winter break and this past week, they are looking like their racing strategies and technique are starting to come around.”

They may have lost, but a couple of ladies did reach the podium in their respected events. Junior Erica Hagen earned her first win of the day in the 100-breast with a time of 105.26 seconds, more than five seconds before the other competitors. She continued on with her dominance in her other specialty event, the 200-IM. She placed first with a time of 2:17.18 and her sophomore teammate Miranda Mathus came in right behind her (2:17.31).

Going back to the 200-breast race, Hagen shined yet again, this time coming in second, with a time of 2:31.78. Mathus also picked up a pair of second place finishes in the 200-free (1:59.32) and the 100-fly (1:01.53).

Hagen wasn’t the only Leatherneck coming in first throughout the day; as junior Dana Kaftan won the 200-fly with a time of 2:23.53, followed by her senior teammate Amy Borgstede (2:27.22). Hagen also led her team to victory in the 200-medley, as her, Miranda Mathus, Taylor Winkel and Marissa Purdum touched first with a
time of 1:50.78.