Pitch Perfect

Alyssa Hohman, Edge Editor

The Bella’s are back for one final tour in “Pitch Perfect 3.” The “Pitch Perfect” films have been wildly popular but it is rare for movies to produce a third film that is as good as the first, or even the second. I am excited to hear and see the Bella’s again but I have my reservations, as it will be hard to make a third film about a cappella competitions. The original two films took place while they were all still in school, so it will be interesting to see how filmmakers tie this film back to the original idea of collegiate a cappella.

In the trailer we see all of the original Bellas, Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow and Anna Camp back together to support the new Bellas, who now have Hailee Steinfeld as their leader. The original group thinks that they are going to perform but, upon arrival, find out they are just observers. This revelation hits the original Bella’s hard and they decide to take action.

The original Bella’s are all struggling with their personal lives in one way, shape or form and the new Bellas success inspires them to get together for one last tour. The Bella’s decide to take on the European USO concert and are facing groupsthat use actual instrumentsfor the first time. These other groups do not take the Bella’s seriously teasing them about essentially performing karaoke. And when the Bella’s try to show off, by challenging them to a riff off, it backfires when the other groups outdo the Bellas.

In the trailer we see a clip where Anna Kendrick’scharacter is offered a contract with a music label but she doesn’t accept, at least what we can see, because the offer is not for all of the Bella’s. We catch glimpses of possible romances, fighting, a preview of the riff off between the Bella’s and the other performers and more. The only thing I was looking forward to that I didn’t see was the other main Barden a cappella group, The Treblemakers, hopefully they make some sort of appearance in the film.

Even with my concerns about there being a third film, I think this final addition to the “Pitch Perfect” saga looks like it will be a blast; full of drama, music and even explosions. “Pitch Perfect 3” comes to theaters Dec. 22.