Leathernecks shock the Shockers

Taylor+Hanneman+drives+past+a+defender+against+Illinois+College.+
Taylor Hanneman drives past a defender against Illinois College.

Angel Strack/photo editor

Angel Strack/photo editor

Haley Richards, Courier Staff

The Western Illinois University women’s basketball team hit the road in search of their seventh win of the season. The Leathernecks faced Wichita State University and won 78-65. They move on to 7-2 in the season while the Shockers fell to 2-7.

Junior guard Taylor Higginbotham lead the Purple and Gold once again. She got her second double-double of the season, recording 29 points and 10 rebounds. Higginbotham also hit six three-pointers in Friday’s game.

“I’m really proud of our toughness today,” said head coach JD Gravina. “Wichita State has a very good and physical team, but we were incredibly scrappy. Playing in front of 6,000 screaming kids made for an awesome atmosphere and our kids really fed off the energy.”

Early in the first quarter, Western Illinois struggled to get points on the board as Wichita State took a 15-8 lead. A six-point spurt helped the Leathernecks catch up, at the end of the first quarter they sat one point behind their opponent.

Senior guard Taylor  Hanne-man hit a three right before half to help her team secure a 32-30 advantage.

Hanneman and Higginbotham started the third quarter with a spark with back-to-back trifectas to give the Purple and gold a nine-point lead with 6:23 to go. The score was then 52-45 going into the fourth.

Wichita State then closed the gap to six in the last quarter but the Leathernecks took the momentum and closed the game with a three-pointer from Higginbotham.  This was her sixth three-pointer of the game.

Senior guard Morgan Blumer had 17 points, she recorded her 36th career double-digit scoring game. Senior guard Emily Clemens totaled 12 points and marked her 53rd double-digit scoring game. She is only 20 assists from the all-time record in program history.

Sophomore guard Olivia Kaufmann totaled eight points on the day. Senior forward Olivia Braun totaled four blocks which is a new season high.

This was Western’s first win over Wichita State since Feb. 1, 1991. This win broke the six-game losing streak that the Shockers had over the Purple and Gold.

The Leathernecks are currently on a two-game winning streak, their two losses of the season came from Northern Illinois University Huskies and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They barely lost to the Huskies 94-96.

Their current record of 7-2 is the best start to a season since 2005-06. Even last year, the Leathernecks started 6-3.

Up next, Western will take on Southeast Missouri State University for their tenth game of the season. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. inside Western Hall on Tuesday. The Redhawks are 4-4 on the season.

Twitter: hayfourrr