Fredrickson inspired by Hall Government

Joshua Frederickson found passion within the residence hall government, where he assumes leadership as the Thompson Hall president.

Matthew Armour/courier staff

Matthew Armour/courier staff

Matthew Armour, Courier Staff

Western Illinois University sophomore Joshua Fredrickson has dedicated his scholastic career to extracurricular activities, serving up to three on-campus organizations.

 “I’m currently on the board for the Feminist Action Alliance, hold a chair position in Unity and I’ve recently started the WIU ‘It’s On Us’ student organization and being active in residence Hall Government meetings,” Fredrickson said.

 Fredrickson’s heavy activity on campus increased his confidence as he decided to move onward and upward, receiving a nomination to run for president of Thompson Hall.

 “I was only present for two meetings before being nominated for the position of president,” Fredrickson said. “Having no experience in collegiate government, I initially declined the nomination. After my background in leadership, I decided to go for it and try something new.”

 According to Fredrickson, he worked endlessly to ensure Thompson has sustained high maintenance levels and to accurately represent residents.

 “My primary responsibilities as president are to run the weekly Thompson Hall Government meetings and attend Inter-Hall Council meetings as a representative for Thompson,” Fredrickson said. “I’m also looked at to assist with Thompson events, like homecoming events and safe trick-or-treating.”

 Fredrickson said his corresponding board is the primary reason he is able to sustain the magnitude of responsibilities that come with the demanding position of president.

“I think the biggest difficultly I’ve encountered was taking on this position with no direct experience,” Fredrickson said. “On top of that, the rest of the board all have little to no prior experience and our advisor is new to campus.”

Despite trials and tribulations, however, with Fredrickson’s leadership the Thompson Hall Government was able to solve any issue they may have encountered.

 “Going into presidency, I was very nervous, but we pulled together almost immediately and I really feel like we’ve been rocking it. The best thing we’ve done has been to lean on each other when needed.”

While having a great support team has certainly been helpful, Fredrickson said that his involvement on campus has made him accustomed to a productive lifestyle.

 “I am very involved around campus, so I’m used to living a busy lifestyle. As you can see by my  involvement, I do quite a bit, and these organizations are where my focus is,” Fredrickson said. “Because of that, and the realization that I’m not as focused on classes and getting my degree, I have made the decision to leave Western after this semester. It’s been a really hard decision, because I really love Western and everything I’ve been able to accomplish here, but I’m here for the wrong reasons.”

 Although he faced tough decisions, Fredrickson said he made his impact here at Western, and was able to extend some words of wisdom to the next individual who takes on the position of residence hall president.

 “Just go all in and have fun with it,” Fredrickson said. “If you’re not enjoying yourself, you shouldn’t do it.”