Women’s soccer ends after tough season

Women’s soccer ends after tough season

Bianca Romany runs to position in a home matchup

Pedro Avila/ assistant photo editor

Pedro Avila/ assistant photo editor

Pedro Avila/ assistant photo editor

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

The Western Illinois University women’s soccer team’s season ended their season last Thursday night losing to the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks 3-1. They were outshot 13-12 and 9-3 on goal.

This was one of Western’s relatively close matches, but they weren’t able to get a victory and failed to reach the Summit League Tournament this season. The Leathernecks finished the year at 2-15 and were seventh in their conference. In the Summit, only the top four teams go to the tournament in South Dakota.

The first eight games were all against non-conference opponents, one of the tougher matches on their schedule being against the University of Kentucky where they weren’t able to hang on long enough, and fell 1-0. Their next match was against their biggest rivals, the Eastern Illinois University Panthers. They lost a hard-fought game and scored their first goal of the season as they lost 2-1.

One of those wins came in spectacular fashion as Western cruised past the Chicago State University Cougars. The Leathernecks broke a scoring record, as they beat the Cougars 9-1  Freshman forward Lauryn Peters, sophomore midfielder Bianca Romay and junior forward Madeline Edwards scored against CSU; this game ended up being the highlight of
the season.

The second, and only other win of the season, came against the Fort Wayne University Mastodons. This was the Leathernecks’ only league win, as they stole a 1-0 victory at home. The game winning goal came from sophomore forward Emily Bollman, it was her second of the season.

After this win, Western would go on a five-game losing streak to finish out their season out, all against Summit League competition.

Head coach Eric Johnson adressed the loss of his senior players, “We will miss our seniors and their leadership. We thank them for their contributions to the program.”

Western will lose total of six seniors this offseason; that’s not a whole lot, however, these players will still be missed. The graduating class consists of goalkeeper Jennifer Currie, midfielders Micaela Cody, Devan Jones, Mary Street and Alexandria Siavelis, as well as defender Carly Hoffman.

Statistically, the Leathernecks scored 13 out of their total 207 opportunities on goal, 10 of those goals being assisted. Out of those 207 shots, only 94 of them were on target, and they averaged 12.2 shots per game. As for free kicks, Western took 35 corners and three penalty shots, however none of those chances were finished.

The players of the year, in my book, start off withs sophomore midfielder Bianca Romay, as she recorded three goals and two assists for the year. She was voted offensive player of the week and created plenty of opportunities for herself as well as for her team.

In second is Madeline Edwards. She scored a pair of goals and also assisted two. She also recorded 1,306 minutes for her team, starting all 17 games for the Leathernecks.

My last pick is Ines Palmiero. The sophomore goalie started in 13 games, while Senior Jennifer Currie started the other 4 when Palmiero was injured. She recorded 1,048 minutes and was voted Summit League defensive player of the week on Oct. 9. She recorded one shutout against Fort Wayne, and only allowed 26 goals out of 196 shots, and made a total of 62 saves on the year.

Twitter: @bradjp08