Volleyball losing streak grows to six

Emma+Noris+serves+the+ball+in+a+home+game.+

Volleyball losing streak grows to six

Emma Noris serves the ball in a home game.

Victoria Ketterer/ courier stafV

Victoria Ketterer/ courier stafV

Victoria Ketterer/ courier stafV

Becca Langys, Courier Staff

MACOMB IL. — The Western Illinois University Leatherneck volleyball team (6-17) faced the Oral Roberts University Golden Eagles (11-10) for the second time this season last Sunday, taking their eighth conference loss of this season, scores being 16-25, 12-25 and 11-25.

Western continues to struggle with their gameplay outcomes throughout the course of their conference season. Still having a 1-8 record in conference, the Leathernecks knew that their match against the Golden Eagles, who now have an 8-1 conference record, would be a tough one.

Western struggled offensively during their match against the Golden Eagles, earning a lower percentage of kills and aces than in previous matches. Leading the offensive stats for the Leathernecks, red-shirt freshman outside hitter Mackenzie Steckler and freshman outside hitter Emma Norris made an impact on the court, both earning five kills throughout the course of the match. Norris and freshman setter Cassie Hunt each earned one ace during the match as well.

Defensively, the Leathernecks also struggled to pick up their stats. Senior outside-hitter Shalyn Greenhaw led Western with a total of 6 digs, closely followed by sophomore Libero Claire Grove who earned 5 digs. Leading the Leathernecks at the net, junior middle-hitter Emilee Dechant had a total of 3 blocks.

The Leathernecks started out the first game with a substantial point deficit that proved insurmountable. Oral Roberts went on an 11-point run in the very beginning of this game which killed any type of momentum that the Leathernecks originally brought to the court. The Golden Eagles had a strong offensive presence on the court, with most of their points either resulting from kills or service aces.

The Leathernecks struggled to keep up with the strong offense that the Golden Eagles brought to the court, which put them at an even greater point deficit as the game continued. Western eventually fell to Oral Roberts in the first game with a score of 16-25 and match score of  0-1.

The Leathernecks came out with a greater momentum in the second game. Between Oral Roberts service errors and Leatherneck kills, Western was able to remain neck-and-neck with the Golden Eagles for a good chunk of the second game. When the score was 11-14, the Leathernecks gave up an 8-point run to the Golden Eagles. At this point in the game, it was too late for the Leathernecks to work their way back up into winning position. The Leathernecks fell to the Golden Eagles for the second time of the night, final game score reading 12-25 and match score of 0-2.

During the third and final game of this match, the Leathernecks had an extremely slow start, giving up 6 points without scoring any of their own  to Oral Roberts. During the third game, Western really struggled with picking up the hits that came from the ORU side of the net. Oral Roberts took advantage of the Leatherneck’s struggling defense and continued to push on, earning kill after kill. The Golden Eagles went on several point runs throughout the rest of this game, giving the Leathernecks no chance at pulling out a win.

The Oral Roberts Golden Eagles beat Western Illinois in this final game of the match, game score of 11-25 and final match score of 0-3.

Western’s volleyball team will play the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks this Friday in Omaha at 7 p.m.

Twitter: beccalangysxo