Leathernecks fall prey to Coyotes

Leathernecks fall prey to Coyotes

Ines Palmiero handles the ball in a home matchup.

pedro avila/ assistant photo editor

pedro avila/ assistant photo editor

pedro avila/ assistant photo editor

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

VERMILLION, S.D.- The Leathernecks went to the University of South Dakota Coyotes in need of some league points, however, they were not able to do so. Either way, the Coyotes got the win, boosting them to 4-11, while the Leathernecks sink to 2-13, both teams with two games left.

USD was able to get the close 1-0 victory to put them at 2-3 in Summit League action, as they sit at fifth in the league,  while Western sits at seventh. The game was pretty even statistically, as the Coyotes only outshot the Leathernecks 16-11, and 7-5 on goal.

The game started out a little slow in the first 20 minutes as both teams showed little offense, but it was primarily Western in the early moments. In the first 25 minutes of the game, Western took three shots, two of them going wide, and the other being saved by senior goalkeeper Sydney Hardin. USD took an early pair of shots as well both went high and over the net, not a problem for the Leathernecks.

The rest of the first half was in favor of Western, as they out-shot the Coyotes 8-3 heading into half time. Western was doing everything right, but they were just unable to put one in the back of the net past Hardin made three saves that half. The
score would stay even at zero heading into halftime.

The Leathernecks were looking to keep their momentum heading into the second half, but quickly realized that they weren’t able to do so. The Coyotes came right out of the gate with pressure to keep the Leathernecks on their heels, as they to out-shot Western 13-3, completely changing the momentum of the game.

The Leathernecks were able to get one early shot off in the 48th minute, but it was blocked, leading to a counter attack where a shot from sophomore forward Taryn Labree was also blocked.

The ball went out of bounds leading to a USD corner kick, their first of the day. This  was their first out of seven in a row, as possession at that time was all to the Coyotes. This surge of offense led to three shots as well, two of them going wide left and the other being blocked.

All of these opportunities for the Coyotes eventually led to their first goal, the only goal in the game. It came in the 68th minute from sophomore midfielder Kellee Willer, as the ball was loose inside the six-yard box Sophomore forward Amanda Carpio passed it over to Willer as she tapped it into the bottom left corner; giving the Coyotes a 1-0 lead.

The final 20 minutes of the match were all USD as they went on to take seven more shots on goal to Western’s two. The Coyotes looked as if they were going to score in the 78th minute, as they were awarded a corner kick which led to a shot that had to be saved by sophomore goalie Ines Palmiero.

The game finished 1-0, as USD now has a two-game win streak, while Western is on a three-game losing streak.

The Leathernecks are looking  to finish strong as they see their last competiton of the season in a touch matchup this Thursday against the University of Omaha.

Twitter: bradjp08