Women’s soccer winless on road trip

Ines+Palmiero+winds+up+for+the+kick+in+a+home+game.+

Women’s soccer winless on road trip

Ines Palmiero winds up for the kick in a home game.

Pedro Avila/ assistant photo editor

Pedro Avila/ assistant photo editor

Pedro Avila/ assistant photo editor

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

MACOMB Ill.- It was a dreary weekend for Western Illinois University’s women’s soccer team as they lost both games while at home. Western fell 2-0 to the North Dakota State University Bison last Friday. The Bison might have got the win, but the Leathernecks put up a good fight, outshooting the Bison 21-9, and 7-4 on goal. This was just the beginning of their unsuccessful weekend of play.

Last Sunday the Leathernecks took on the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits on their practice field due to the constant rain. It was also the final day of parent’s weekend, so the Leathernecks really wanted to perform well and get the win while at home.

They went into the game with Friday’s loss still in mind. Western had little momentum in the opening of the game. The Jackrabbits came into Macomb on a four-game win streak beating the likes of the University of Denver and the University of Omaha, and they were looking to keep this forms going.

The Jackrabbits came out strong   in the beginning moments taking a couple shots, one being blocked and the other being saved by sophomore goalkeeper Ines Palmiero. The Jackrabbits kept the pressure going which led to an early goal in the ninth minute of the game. It was a well-worked goal as the ball was passed in from senior forward Nicole Hatcher to junior defender Annie Williams as she took a good touch and finished it into the bottom left corner for her third goal of the season.

After the goal Western began to wake up a little bit, taking a couple of shots of their own, one being blocked and the other going high over the crossbar. However, the Jackrabbits were able to double their lead off a great counter attack. The ball was worked out wide to Williams as she crossed it in to senior midfielder Tori Poole. Poole took it first time and headed it past Palmiero into the left corner, making it 2-0 in the 13th minute.

Things weren’t looking too good for the Leathernecks as they let the Jackrabbits have the majority of possession. The first half ended at 2-0, but the Jack Rabbits outshot Western 7-4. The second half was even more one sided, as it started off with multiple chances for the Jackrabbits including three corner kicks and a couple of saved shots. They continued with this momentum and were able to make it 3-0 in the 63rd minute. Sophomore forward Leah Manuleua assisted on the final goal of the game as she passed it to Hatcher inside the 18-yard box. Hatcher took it first time and just tapped it passed Palmiero to take the commanding lead.

The rest of the game was a little bit of back and forth action between the two teams, but the game finally ended at 3-0, lifting the Jack Rabbits to 7-4-3 and 3-0 in league play. The Leathernecks are now 1-3 in league play. Currently NDSU is first in the league, with SDSU coming in behind them, while Western sits in seventh.

The season isn’t quite over yet though for the Leathernecks. They have three games left, possibly three of their hardest, all away to finish up their season. They go on to play the University of South Dakota on Friday, and University of Denver Colorado this Sunday. This is a tough weekend of travel for the Leathernecks, but they need results. USD are sixth in the league, right above Western, and UD sits at fourth. It was a difficult weekend, but the Leathernecks are looking forward to it and are ready to finish their season
out strong.

Twitter: bradjp08