The Club takes the wrestling world by storm

Kenny+Omega+before+a+match+in+New+Japan+Pro+Wrestling.+
Kenny Omega before a match in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Wikimedia.org

Wikimedia.org

Brie Coder, Courier Staff

In every sport there is one athlete or team that gains popularity with their fans. In the pro-wrestling field, the Bullet Club does just that.

Though their name may seem intimidating, the men in The Bullet Club give their fans what they want: their money’s worth. Over the years many wrestlers have come and gone who have either left a mark or left unnoticed. The Bullet Club, however, is leaving a milestone within the independent wrestling companies.

Before I talk about some of the big names in the Bullet Club, I should start off with the differences between independent pro-wrestling and the WWE.

The independent circuit (or indie circuit) is wrestling promotions smaller in roster and television promotions. Usually these shows don’t tour as often as companies like WWE. They’ll pre-record their shows at the same venue in advance, and air them on television weeks later.  Examples of indie circuits include Ring of Honor, and New Japan Pro Wrestling. The WWE is a major promotion that has more televised events, live events, and a bigger roaster.

Now you may be wondering why fans prefer watching indie wrestling over the WWE? The first reason is the storylines. Usually in independent companies, the storylines are believable. It’s less talking and more action. In the WWE it’s vice versa. Most of the time in the WWE; the wrestlers can’t pitch their storyline ideas. Instead they are given a script from the creative team, who write the stories for them, and they must follow it. In the independent companies, the wrestlers get to pitch their ideas and havethem granted.

Above all things, the most important concept to these companies is their fan base. Recently, the WWE has seen a decrease in sales for live events, pay-per-views, and merchandise. The reason why is because their fans’ voices aren’t being heard. For years fans have wanted an anti-authority group to gain popularity. Unfortunately in the WWE, a fan won’t get that wish. In 2013, New Japan Pro Wrestling listened to their fans’ request and created the Bullet Club.

It all began when Prince Devitt, currently known as Finn Balor in the WWE, turned on his tag team partner, and formed alliances with “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson, Bad Luck Fale and Tama Tonga. Together the four named their group the Bullet Club. All four members were known to be cocky, tough and villianous. Though most wrestlers in the indies prefer to be the good guys, the Bullet Club preferred breaking the rules. Devitt led the Club from 2013-2014, before leaving NJPW to join the WWE. When Devitt left, a popular indie wrestler named A.J. Styles took over as the leader.

During Styles’ two year leadership from 2014-2016, he added more talented wrestlers to the group. Though the group had only one tag-team group, Gallows and Anderson, two more tag teams joined. The first tag team to join was the Young Bucks. Known for their long hair, over the top costumes, and super kicks, Matt and Nick Jackson have held most of the tag team titles on both NJPW and ROH. In 2016, the third tag team Guerillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa) became a part of the Bullet Club.

While fans were getting to know the tag-teams of Bullet Club, a new face appeared.

Kenny Omega is the new face of the the Bullet Club and has taken the entire wrestling universe by storm.Omega has been ranked the number two wrestler in the world and has put the Bullet Club to the forefront of professional wrestling.