ISP trooper takes gold

Isaiah Herard, Assistant News Editor

Illinois State Police Director Leo P. Schmitz acknowledged Trooper Gary “Joe” Anderton for winning the gold medal during his participation in the 2017 World Police and Fire Games. Anderton claimed the gold medal in the 170-179.9-submission grappling weight class.

This year’s World Police and Fire Games were held in Los Angeles, Calif. from Aug. 6-16. The biennial event garnered over 8,000 first responder athletes from 70 countries whom competed in 65 events.

Being the only representation of America in his competing class, Anderton defeated a Brazilian military police officer to bring home the gold.

In a press release, Schmitz said Anderson’s exemplary performance and commitment to physical fitness and exceeding standards is an accurate representation of police and fire departments across America. 

“ISP officers are required to maintain minimum physical fitness standards,” said Schmitz in a press release. Anderton has gone the extra mile to exceed those standards and exemplifies achievement through high personal goals and effort. “Trooper Anderton’s commitment to physical fitness is exemplary, and the efforts he put forth in training for this event are to be commended.” 

Along with being a 2017 World champion, Anderton also won a gold medal in the same event at the 2015 National Police and Fire Games.  Anderton is one of a very small number of athletes who has been both a National and World Submission Grappling champion in the Police and Fire Games.