Womens soccer falls to 0-4 on the season

Sophomore+goalie+Ines+Palmiero+Herrera+punts+out+of+her+goal.+

Sophomore goalie Ines Palmiero Herrera punts out of her goal.

Pedro Avila/Assistant Photo Editor

Pedro Avila/Assistant Photo Editor

Pedro Avila/Assistant Photo Editor

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

MACOMB Ill. – Western Illinois University’s women’s soccer team were again unsuccessful gaining their first win, as they fell 3-0 in Milwaukee last Friday night. The University of Milwaukee Wisconsin Panthers (UMW) cruised into yet another shutout, shutting down the Leathernecks’ attack. The Panthers are now 4-0-1, not allowing a single goal over their entire season so far, setting a new school record. Meanwhile Western has dropped to 0-4, a rough start to their season.

Although the Leathernecks were shut out, they didn’t go down without a fight. The game was all Western in the beginning, as they had multiple shots on goal in the first 20 minutes, however none could mae it to the net. The Panthers did regain power and managed to score a goal in the 29th minute. A low cross came in from Panthers’ McKaela Schmelzer as it bounced around awkwardly in the box for a while before fellow Panther, Kelli Swenson giving the Panthers a well-deserved 1-0 lead, finally headed it in. Right after the kick off, freshman midfielder Natalie Nagle had one of Western’s best opportunities of the game as her shot just trickled wide in the
30th minute.

The game was constantly going back and forth, the Panthers attack would not let up in the first half as they went on to score another goal in the 40th minute. This goal came late in the first half off a corner kick from Jen Eberhardy and was smashed in by Schmelzer. The score would stay 2-0 in favor of Milwaukee going into half time. The Panthers would take this momentum into the second half and score another early goal. This one came off of an error in Western’s defense as a back pass was picked off by Panther’s senior Aubrey Krahn as she took it towards goal and slotted it past sophomore goalkeeper Ines Palmiero Herrera to boost their lead to 3-0.

After the match, Western’s director of soccer Eric Johnson had only good things to say about the opposition, “Milwaukee is a good side that is athletic and good in the air. We made mistakes on all three goals and cannot afford to do that against a good team.”

He went on to say that his side competed for all 90 minutes, however there were signs of fatigue towards the end.

Overall, Western was outshot 20-13, and 7-3 with shots on goal. The Panthers were pretty dominant throughout the whole game, having more corner kicks (8-1) and fouls (13-6). Milwaukee did end up with two yellow cards however, both happening early in the second half in the 46th and 52nd minute against Cassidy Blanchard and Lourdes Onwuemeka.

Western looks to learn from this loss and turn their streak around going into what is their toughest opponent next match, the University of Kentucky. Kickoff is set for 4 P.M. in Lexington Kentucky.

Twitter: @bradjp08