NSCS Receives gold star

Jessie Matias/Production Manager

Jessie Matias/Production Manager

Isaiah Herard, Assistant News Editor

The Western Illinois University chapter of The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) has been recognized as a Certified Gold Star Chapter for the 2016-17 academic year.

NSCS is a national, non-profit honor society that recognizes undergraduate students who exhibit preeminence academically during the first and second years of their collegiate career. Nationally, the organization offers $1 million in scholarships, awards and chapter support, as well as leadership and service opportunities.

The Certified Gold Star Chapter certification recognizes the work the Western chapter has put into developing its program and its commitment to the ideals of NSCS.

Western senior elementary education major Shyanne Thomas serves as the chapter president.

“I know we deserved the Certified Gold Star Status, because our Executive Board along with our members put in so much work this year for our chapter,” Thomas said. “We are continuously improving and adapting each and every day and I believe by this time next year that the WIU chapter of NSCS will be seen as a Platinum Star Status Chapter.”

According to Thomas, the goal of the Western chapter of NSCS is to implement highly engaging events throughout the year.

“We have a checklist to follow for the fall and spring semester along with some things that are ongoing throughout the year,” Thomas said. “If we have completed All of the things listed, we will receive all of our Star Status points for the year, which would put us at Certified Gold that is above Gold, Silver, and Bronze.”

Receiving the Gold Star award gives NCSC the motivation to move onward and upward and chase the elusive Diamond Star Status.

“It absolutely means so much to be recognized as a Certified Gold Star Chapter,” Thomas said. “It means we are doing something right and on the right track to (possibly) becoming a Platinum and even a Diamond Star Status Chapter. It just goes to show you that all of your hard work as an individual and as part of a team does pay off and does not go unnoticed.”

To ensure maximum involvement, the NCSC chapter here at Western conducts regular meetings to increase their productivity and services.

l body meetings where we inform our members about our fundraisers, community service opportunities, scholarships they can apply for, working with our PACE partner (West Prairie Middle School), fun little events we hold throughout the year, and so much more,” Thomas said

“My Executive Board, new and old, our Member Engagement (ME) Manger Kevin, and I all believe that this coming year we could become one of the 10 Platinum Star Status Chapters across the nation, which could easily turn into us being named the Diamond Star Status Chapter,” Thomas said. “We will continue to do what we have been doing and work on implementing new ideas and striving for each of our personal and overall goals for our NSCS chapter here at WIU.”

For more information about the Gold Star NCSC chapter at WIU contact chapter president Shyanne Thomas via email SN-Thomas2@wiu.edu.