Square construction nearly complete: Downtown Revitalization Project roadwork continues progress

The Downtown Revitalization Project continues work in the Macomb Square. Macomb Mayor Mike Inman (top) speaks with construction workers on site.

Angel Strack/Photo Editor

Angel Strack/Photo Editor

Isaiah Herard, Assistant News Editor

United Contractors Midwest (UCM) has been working hard on laying the final surface on the Downtown Square as part of the Downtown Revitalization Project. According to Mayor Mike Inman, the process is an ongoing operation and has become time sensitive.

 “The Downtown Revitalization Project is critical to the survival of a thriving, historic downtown,” Inman said. “It’s a $1.5 million dollar investment that we think is spot on. We can’t expect a private sector to invest in our downtown if we’re not willing to, so with the Council’s support we’ve put our money where our mouth is and we hope to entice additional help from a private sector.”

 Last Thursday, contractors closed the east side of the square to lay the final surface. Contractors began with laying the final layer on the West side of the Square Monday. Traffic will be redirected until this part of the project is complete.

 According to Downtown Development Director Kristin Terry, if the weather is accommodating, contractors will be stripping all areas of the Downtown. This process will take two days to complete. Contractors will then be cleaning and reassuring that any loose ends are resolved.

 “The project should be complete this Friday,” Terry said. “They only had a little bit left for the final surface but it rained so it got pushed back from the 15th of August
to the 25th.

 Terry believes the Downtown Revitalization Project will benefit the citizens of Macomb as well as the students of Western Illinois University.

 “Putting this type of money into our downtown to revitalize it is a good economic impact,” Terry said. “It’s kind of like constructing your house. Sometimes you have to upgrade so we’re really striving to make this a great economic impact for the downtown.”

The first stage of the Downtown Revitalization Project introduced by Downtown Development Director Kristen Terry include the overlaying and milling of the sidewalks, new stop signs, new stripes, and a new drainage system.

According to Inman, the street project is the second phase of the Downtown Revitalization project and is predicated on the approval for Illinois Transportation EnhancementProgram (ITEP) Grant in the amount of $1.5 million dollars.

“Phase two depends on a grant being applied for and awarded from the state department transportation based on a historic downtown component,” Inman said. “It’s our intention to make that application later this fall, but whether we’re awarded those funds is anybody’s guess and I don’t believe there’s support in proceeding with this project without that grant in hand.”

A second reading of an ordinance to create a special event liquor license for the McDonough District Hospital Foundation’s annual Jingle ‘N Mingle event was waived as the ordinance received approval from the City Council.

“This is a liquor license for a fundraising event, not for the hospital or the city,” Inman said. “(Jingle ‘N Mingle) is held off the hospital’s campus right downtown and this annual event has been going on for a decade or longer which is one of the reasons second reading got waived tonight.”

The next City Council meeting will be a meeting of the Committee of the Whole held next Monday, August 28.