Riot Fest will have big names headlining festival

Brie Coder

On April 19, Riot Fest announced its lineup for this year’s festival. Riot Fest will be held on Sept. 15-17 in Douglas Park. Nine Inch Nails will headline the first night. The band has not headlined in Chicago since 2014.

Nine Inch Nails began their career in 1988 in Cleveland, Ohio. Trent Reznor, lead vocalist and also known as a one-man band, was one of the first to introduce industrial rock. Industrial rock centers on experimental rock that uses electronic instruments like synthesizers. The genre’s theme is usually dark lyrics that tackle difficult subjects. Nine Inch Nails have had many successful records, but the two most influential are “Pretty Hate Machine” and “The Downward Spiral.”

The band is known for employing visual effects including light shows during their live performances. What makestheir live shows intriguing is their set list changes each performance to fit the visual effects being displayed. So if a fan sees them twice within the same tour, they will not be hearing the same songs.

Not only is Nine Inch Nails headlining Riot Fest, but Queens of the Stone Age will also be headlining that Saturday night. The alternative rock group began their journey in 1996. Their last album “…Like Clockwork” was released in 2013, and it’s been stated that as of January of this year, the band is working on their seventh studio album to be released sometime later this year. Some of their popular songs include “No One Knows,” “Go with the Flow” and “Little Sister.”

On Sunday night, Jawbreaker will close out the festival. Known to be an influential emo band of the 90s, Jawbreaker came onto the music scene in 1986. The band was active for 10 years (1986-1996) but then took time apart to focus on individual music projects. The band announced they would reunite for Riot Fest for the first time in 21 years. Some of their popular songs include: “Condition Oakland,” “Kiss the Bottle,” “In Sadding Around” and “Jet Black.”

There will be many other well-known musicians that will be performing at the festival as well. In the hip hop genre there will be: M.I.A., Mike D. (from the Beastie Boys) and Wu-Tang Clan. For fans of Rage Against the Machine and Public Enemy, the group Prophets of Rage will be performing as well. The group consists of all former members of RATM, including TomMorello, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford. In addition, members of Public Enemy Chuck D. and DJ Lord will be there, as well as B-Real of Cypress Hill.

Other acts to perform at the festival include: A Day to Remember, Paramore, New Order, Taking Back Sunday, Bad Brains, Pennywise, Mayday Parade, Streetlight Manifesto, Gwar, Andrew W.K. and many more. More artists and bands scheduled to perform will be announced within the next couple of weeks.

Tickets went on sale Wednesday the 19th. Currently, a three-day general admission ticket is $179.98. However, there is good news for those who cannot afford to pay the full amount at the moment. The tickets can be purchased througha layaway system. The offer is a three-time-payment plan whereeach time you pay $63.32. Once paid off, you can receive your tickets at the venue in September.