Track has successful weekend in Normal

Brie Coder

This weekend in Normal, Illinois, both Malachi Adams and Jasmine Brown brought home two first-place finishes. Even though the weather conditions were windy and a few athletes suffered from injuries and illness, the team still remained focused. This weekend, the women’s division placed fourth and the men’s division placed fifth.

To begin, on the men’s division, Adams was victorious in the 100-meter dash with a time of 14.79 seconds. He also competed in the 200-meter dash and ended up in fifth place with a time of 20.98. In the field events for the men’s division Josh Swope recorded a distance of 178-10 1/4 (54.51 meters) for the javelin placing him in second. Tevin Taylor and Josh Kirby also had second place in the men’s triple jump and the 110-meter hurdles. Taylor had a jumping distance of 44′ 11.1 (13.70 meters), and Kirby had finished in the 110- meter hurdles with a time of 14.79 seconds.

In the women’s division, Brown received her second firstplace win in the triple jump with a distance of 40-10 1/2 (12.46 meters). Allison Richter competed in the javelin and had a distance throw of 125-2 3/4, which she received third place in. For the running events Alyssa Johnson finished second in the 800-meter dash with a time of 2:12.31. Johnson also competed in the 4×400 meter run with Bo Brasseur, Kaliyah Cobb and Sierra Woods. The ladies finished in second place with a time of 3:58.97. Both Cobb and Woods would participate in the 200-meter run. Cobb came in third with a time of 24.83. Woods would then follow and place sixth with a time of 24.98.

Not only were the Leathernecks succeeding this weekend with impressive wins, Illinois State had 15 event wins and 14 personal best performances. The men’s division of ISU placed second overall this weekend.

The men’s division of ISU began with a third place win for Jack Anstey in the 1,500-meter run. He ended up with a time of 3:53.76. Jaylan McConico would follow and win overall in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.24. Jalen Lewis placed second in the men’s 400-meter hurdles ending up with a time of 54.29. Alongside Lewis, Justin Agustin placed third with a personal best of 54.96.

For the women’s division of ISU, there were several who had top-wins, but also set new personal best records. It began with Ariel Michalek who competed in the women’s 1,500- meter run. She ended up second with a race time of 4:36.71. Grace Beattie would follow right behind Michalek in third with 4:38.43. D’Jenne Egharevba had quite a strong finish in the 100-meter dash with a personal best time of 11.58. She also competed in the 200-meter dash with another personal-best time of 23.87. Demetria Anderson also compteted in the 100-meter hurdles and won with a time of 13.89.

This weekend brought forth yet another strong competition with many wins, and top- 10 performances for both the Leathernecks and for Illinois State. Beginning April 13 at 1 p.m., the Leathernecks will be competing here at the Lee Calhoun Memorial Invitational. This will be their final home invitational for the season