Lollapalooza close to selling out due to impressive lineup

Brie Coder, Courier Staff

It’s that time of year again! It’s time to save money to purchase tickets to music
festivals coming up this summer. Lollapalooza, a very famous music festival in Chicago, has yet another impressive lineup for this year. The annual event will begin on Aug. 3 and go will go through Aug. 6 at Grant Park in Chicago.

On Thursday, Aug. 3, the event will start off with the following headliners: Muse, Lorde, Cage the Elephant and Wiz Khalifa. The second night of headliners will be The Killers, Blink 182, DJ Snake and Run the Jewels. Third night headliners will consist of Chance the Rapper, The xx, Alt-J and The Head and the Heart. The final night will end with Arcade Fire, Justice, Big Sean, The Shins and Zeds Dead.

With all those different artists, I feel that Lollapalooza will bring in more fans because of the different genres being showcased this year. Some Lollapalooza fans might be wondering who some of the aforementioned artists are? And are they worth seeing? Here is some general information about the artists and their musical content.

To begin in the pop genre, we’ll start with Lorde. Lorde, a New Zealand native began her career at the age of 10. Her music, including “Royals,” “Team” and her newest single “Green Light,” has earned the 20-year-old two Grammy’s, and most influential teen in “Time” magazine.

Another popular pop group The xx,has earned themselves fame here in the U.S. The English band from London has already caught attention within the indie pop fans. Their hit songs, including “VCR,” “Shelter” and “Chained,” have placed them on the top 10 charts in both the U.S. and England.

The next genres of artists that stand out are those in rap/hip hop. Chance the Rapper, a Chicago native, should feel at home headlining amongst his biggest fans. Chance began his career in 2012 writing his own content, and also performing with other rappers including Kanye West. His best known songs are “No Problem,” “Angels” and “Cocoa Butter Kisses.” Chance has received three Grammy awards, and was the first artist to have a streaming album nominated at the Grammy’s.

A second popular rapper, Wiz Khalifa, will be the first rapper to begin the festival in August. Khalifa began his rapping career at 16. One of his popular pieces, “Black and Yellow,” has taken storm, especially in advertising. A few of his other popular songs include “Say Yeah,” “Young, Wild & Free” and “See You Again,” a song dedicated to the late and great Paul Walker.

Lastly, the rock genres that will be featured are considered the best options to fill the genre groups, the first band being The Killers. The band formed in 2001, and has had some very successful record sales. With over 22 million albums sold, The Killers are considered Nevada’s most influential band of the 21st century. Some of their songs include “When You Were Young,” “Somebody Told Me” and “Mr. Brightside.”

The second band that will draw in big crowds is Blink 182. If you are a 90s kid, you’d remember singing “All the Small Things.” I certainly do. Blink 182 began their career in 1992 with Tom DeLonge (vocals/guitar), Mark Hoppus (bass/vocals) and Travis Barker (drums). The three gentlemen continued working together up until 2004 when DeLonge decided to leave the band due to musical and personal differences. DeLonge was replaced recently by Matt Skiba, former lead and backing vocalist/guitar player for Alkaline Trio. Skiba recently recorded “California” with the two original members. Blink 182 is known for songs such as “All the Small Things,” “What’s My Age Again,” “Adams Song” and “ I Miss You.”

Overall, it looks like it’ll be a great three days in August. There are many more acts that will be at the festival that are just as big as the headliners. The general admission tickets are officially sold out; however, there are other ticket deals being sold for Lollapalooza. For more information about tickets and other performers who’ll be there, log onto https://www.lollapalooza.com/.