Tomi throws in the towel on truth

Lindsey Hecox, Courier Staff

While you may or may not know who Tomi Lahren is, you have likely seen one of her political commentary videos shared by a friend on social media, either in blind agreement or utter disgust. The 24-year-old, unapologetically loud-mouthed Republican figurehead is the host of her show “Tomi” on the conservative network TheBlaze, where she can often be seen aggressively voicing her opinions on the current matters of our nation and calling liberals “whiny snowflakes.”

On Friday morning, Lahren appeared on The View to discuss some popular political topics, including President Donald Trump’s travel ban and his treatment of women. Tomi was able to defend Trump only by targeting Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with virtually irrelevant accusations. In the final moments of the show, Lahren was asked about her stance on abortion as a self-proclaimed “constitutional conservative,” revealing that she is pro-choice. She explained, “I can’t sit here and be a hypocrite and say I’m for limited government but I think that the government should decide what women do with their bodies.” She went on to say, “I can sit here and say that as a Republican, and I can say, ‘You know what? I’m for limited government, so stay out of my guns and you can stay out of my body as well.’” Lahren has since been suspended from her show for the week, following her expression of support for a pro-choice viewpoint.

Lahren’s claims to support a woman’s right to choose are incredibly interesting to those who follow her, and even those like myself who only occasionally watch her in hopes that this is all some sort of sick joke. Only a few months ago, Lahren considered abortion murder, but now she has come out of the woodwork as a pro-choice Republican? Am I hearing this correctly? I’m not even entirely sure those two prospects can exist together without being contradictory in one way or another. Just a few months ago, in a December 2016 broadcast of “Tomi” on TheBlaze, Lahren called pro-choicers “straight-up baby killers.” It is almost laughable to see this situation playing out. While it is pleasant to see a conservative like Lahren opening her eyes and heart to the reality of what a political issue like abortion actually means, it is disheartening to see how inconsistent this point is with the rest of her proclaimed views.

The list of discrepancies with her newfound pro-choice support and previous words and actions goes on and on. Lahren is someone who supported Donald Trump in the presidential race, a man who has not only publicly called women degrading and horrible names for years, but also unforgettably bragged about sexually assaulting women. This behavior is unforgivable and should not be justified, but it was and still is by Lahren and many other members of the Republican Party. Tomi was also an outspoken critic of the Women’s March that followed Trump’s inauguration, which was a protest to support the rights of women, minorities and the LGBTQ community, with abortion and women’s reproductive rights being one of the many issues represented. In her segment about the march, she insensitively stated, “If you had a hard time explaining the results of this election to your daughters, that’s a parenting problem, not a Trump problem.”

By supporting Trump and being a figurehead for his followers, Lahren has committed an ultimate crime against women across the country. She sold her own rights in exchange for fame and followers. It is hard to say whether these are her own views or those of the company that is paying her good money to be the attractive blonde who draws in viewers with her love of the Second Amendment. Does Tomi Lahren truly agree with the stances of the party she is supposedly rooting for, or is she merely a pretty face who gets paid to spew the hateful and often oppressive or discriminatory views of her fellow party members? Regardless, the fragile dignity of Republicans takes another hard hit from one of their own.