End the Sessions witch-hunt

Patrick Quinlan

Following a well-received speech by President Donald Trump last week, the rumors again began swirling regarding the vast Russian conspiracy to infiltrate the highest levels of our government and fix the election outcomes. What better way is there to discredit a president than bring up a theory so oft-debunked — by Newsweek and others — that no one being rational or objective could take seriously at this point? Remembering that, as reported by The Washington Free Beacon, Russian diplomatic presence at the White House was documented at least 22 times while Barack Obama was president. Russian ambassadors were even logged as visitors as late as September 2016.

But Jeff Sessions has a meeting with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, which could arguably be considered part of his job as a senator, and suddenly his credentials are cast in doubt because he talked to one of those evil Ruskies. Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri attempted to pile onto the frenzy by tweeting, “I’ve been on the Armed Services Committee) for 10 years. No call or meeting (with) Russian ambassador. Ever. Ambassadors call members of (the) Foreign (Relations Committee).” The problem? Earlier tweets from McCaskill in January 2013 showed that she had met with the Russian ambassador.

Keep in mind here that it was not only McCaskill who met with Kislyak; Democratic Senators Bob Casey, Dianne Feinstein, Mary Landrieu, Jack Reed and, here’s a great one, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, all met with the Russian ambassador at some point in their careers. Is this evidence that Democratic lawmakers are in bed with Vladimir Putin? Of course not. It’s almost like meeting with diplomats and representatives from other countries is the job of both Republicans and Democrats in Congress or something, witch-hunts and melodrama aside.

Because in all reality, that is exactly what this extra media coverage about Sessions really is: a witch-hunt. The attorney general was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing while in his position on the Senate Armed Services Committee, and he is being targeted and persecuted because of his affiliation with Trump. Given the state of the media, this is a predictable outcome, but one that is quite capable of influencing the thoughts of the populace with fake news.

Where was the media attention and outrage when the Project Veritas released videos demonstrating the intent of the then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton campaign to actually rig the election? Of course, it was nonexistent. What were the Democrats complaining about? Jared Kushner, Michael Flynn and Jeff Sessions meeting with Russian officials in December, of course. Even the liberal New York Times reported that “it is common and not improper for transition officials to meet with foreign officials,” but witch-hunts are much more politically valuable than honest reporting these days, aren’t they?

Before you say another word about Sessions or Trump or Vladimir Putin and the Russian government supposedly pulling the strings of them both, before you claim that Trump’s administration is infested with Russian influence, it may be wise to ask yourself this question: Why was Sergey Kislyak sitting with the Democrats at Trump’s joint