Alderman says “goodbye”

Alderman says “goodbye”

 Alderman Dave Dorsett, who was not re-elected in the recent election, took parting shots at a variety of targets during  his final City Council meeting on Monday.

 Dorsett began his farewell aldermanic report with a joke.

 “I took the liberty of making a few notes, so I wouldn’t go on too long,” Dorsett said, while dropping a large stack of papers on the desk.

 Dorsett expressed his disapproval for the way that some of the buildings in Macomb have been allowed to fall apart, such as the old Maid-Rite business.

 “It’s deplorable that a property owner would allow these parcels in the hardworking community to deteriorate like these have,” Dorsett said.  “I know the administration prefers a carrot and stick approach, but apparently, some folks will just eat the carrot because the stick is seldom used.”

 As another stab at local government, Dorsett presented Dennis Moon, alderman at large, a gift with a deeper meaning.

 “I would also like to present my friend, Alderman Moon, with a parting gift,” Dorsett said, as he pulled the gift from his pocket.  “This silver bullet – since you’re going to be the ‘Lone Ranger’ in the near future.  It is my hope, however, that someone with a solid background in political science, like Alderman Steve Wailand, can join Alderman Moon in progressing the City Council moving forward.”

 Dorsett went on to indirectly point out his disapproval for the way the local government is ran.

 “State statute under our election code, Macomb has – or should have – strong council, weak mayor form of government,” Dorsett said.  “As with Chicago, which we’re patterned after, that has been turned on its head.  Going forth, the rise and fall, the blame and/or benefit for the next few years will rest solely with the mayoral administration. 

 “You can have eight voices saying the same thing, then you may have seven voices too many,” Dorsett continued.  “Discussion, even discord, is not a negative thing.  No one person has all the answers (and) the public should hear those discussions.”

 Dorsett also said he disapproved of the way committee meetings are held. He said that the future of the local government relies on the mayoral administration because committee meetings are held “during hours when most are working.”  Dorsett believes that this does not serve the community well.

As another stab at the local government, Dorsett presented Dennis Moon, alderman at large, a gift with a deeper meaning.

“I would also like to present my friend, Alderman Moon, with a parting gift,” Dorsett said as he pulled the gift from his pocket.  “This silver bullet – since you’re going to be the lone ranger in the near future.  It is my hope, however, that someone with a solid background in political science, like Alderman Steve Wailand, can join Alderman Moon in progressing the City Council moving forward.”

Dorsett also said his disapproval for the way committee meetings are held, saying that the future of the local government relies on the mayoral administration because committee meetings are held “during hours when most are working.”  Dorsett believes that this does not serve the community well.

After Dorsett’s report, Mayor Mike Inman presented Dorsett with a plaque in honor of his years serving the Macomb City Council. 

The Council also presented the Elks Lodge with a proclamation naming this week “Elks Youth Week.”

To end the last meeting of the fiscal year, the Council voted to approve a one month delay for the transfer from the Sales Tax Fund to the Candy Lane Improvement Fund as well as passing a service contract with Maurer-Stutz in the amount of $160,000 for the Candy Lane Improvement  project.