Letter from the Mayor

Dear Campus Community:

 Macomb has a nearly 40-year tradition in a Project called the “Flags of Love.” This all-volunteer project, a display of over 800 U.S. Flags, honors deceased veterans and has been a fixture in Macomb’s Chandler Park on Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Veteran’s Day every year since 1977. It is totally dependent on volunteers to deploy and take down over 800 U.S. Flags on these nationally recognized holidays. Recently, it has becoming increasing more difficult to get people to volunteer their time to participate in this spectacular display of honor and respect.

 The community put out a call for volunteers to assist in putting up the Flags of Love for Veterans Day 2016. We engaged groups of students on campus and members of the community at large. We received an overwhelming response. A record-setting and an extremely diverse group of between 250 and 300 people showed up at 7 a.m. to deploy, and nearly as many showed up at 4 p.m. to take down, the “Flags of Love.” There were business owners and retirees, there were students from Macomb Schools, there were Laborers and managers, faculty and staff from Western Illinois University and families of people. But the reason for my letter today is: of the people who showed up to volunteer and commit time
to the Flags of Love this Veterans Day, close to half of them were Wester students — Greeks and Independents, ROTC
members and WAVE Volunteers, Western EMS and many, many other students!

 I am so proud of and grateful for those students who made a commitment to give back and honor Veterans and support the Macomb community through the Flags of Love Project.

 Thank you, thank you! We would be grateful if we could count on your support again next year!

Sincerely,

Michael Inman, Mayor