Student Spotlight

Kayla Trail

  Joel Carachure has been all around the world but chose to attend Western Illinois University due to their reputable construction
management major.

 “I chose construction management (as my major) because I grew up in the construction field,” Carachure said. “My dad owns his company and I would help him on the weekends and during my summers when I was in high school.”

 Carachure is from Elgin and graduated from Elgin High School in 2003.

 “I fell in love with construction,” Carachure said. I was able to work with my hands and something was being put together. Another reasons why I like construction is that I would see my dad being so passionate (about) what he did, that is something I would love to do when I start working.”

 Carachure enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on Nov. 13, 2007 and finished his time with the Marines on Aug. 9, 2013.

 “I have no regrets,” Carachure said. “I enjoyed every moment while in the Marines. I did have my ups and downs, but that (comes) with anything you do. (A) proud moment was waking up every morning (and) putting on my uniform. Seeing my reflection in the mirror, I would say to myself, ‘This is for my parents, my siblings and everyone I know.’”

 From his time in the Marines, Carachure said that it has taught him how to be tough and has made him who he is today.

 “I learned to survive in any situation,” Carachure said. “I learned to adapt and overcome.”

 While exploring the world with the Marines, Carachure said that even though he has been stationed in Arizona, Hawaii and even Afghanistan, none of the locations were what he expected.

 Carachure did training for the Marines in Yuma, Arizona and said that he slept in tents in over 100-degree weather.

 “During the days it would get hotter,” Carachure said. “I would be drenched in sweat during operations. Another place where I went was in Hawaii; you would think going to Hawaii would be a wonderful time. We were over 6,000 feet above sea level and we slept in tents so when reveille (first call) was called at 5 a.m, I would lay in my sleeping bag trying to warm up before getting out of the tent. In Hawaii someone would not expect to see frost, well there was frost on the ground.”

 Carachure says he was at first “frightened” to deploy to Afghanistan, but quickly changed his tune on the deployment.

 “Even though I knew I was going to deploy sometime during my time in the Marines, I did not expect to be a young ranked Marine,” Carachure said. “Looking back at both deployments, it was not that bad. I felt safer (in Afghanistan) than I do here (United States). When I was there, I had my rifle and my brothers to my left and right.”

 When it comes to achievements, Carachure was in charge of his whole platoon, has been put on a meritorious promotion board during his first deployment to Afghanistan just three days after being a Corporal and during his second deployment he was placed in charge of the utility logistics of the whole base which had him taking over “millions of
dollars in equipment.”

 On choosing Western, Carachure said that although Western was not his first choice, it was the school that popped up when he searched “best construction management school in the Midwest” on Google.

While having been in over 30 states, Carachure  looked into other schools but did not want to pay out-of-state tuition fees and that is what made him search for a good school to accommodate his needs.

 Carachure has just taken a job offer in Tampa, Florida, where he will be serving as the assistant superintendent at the D.R. Horton Company.

 “I’m moving to Florida the Monday after I graduate,” Carachure said. “I’ll start working with the company on Jan. 9, 2017. I wish to work with this company until the day I retire.”

 Carachure has remained very active on campus as a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, Western’s Veteran’s Club, Vice President of Western’s Construction Management Association and was also on the 2015 Homecoming Court at Western.

 Although he will miss all of the people that he has met, Carachure said that he “did a lot during his time here at Western.”

 “Is that not the reason someone goes to college?” Carachure asked. “To have fun while working for a degree.”