MPD investigates vandalisms

Over the weekend, many places in the Macomb and Western Illinois University community became victim to acts of vandalism.

According to the Macomb Police Department (MPD), the incidents occurred at four locations on Murray Street, two on Calhoun Street, one on Pierce Street, as well as other incidents on Sherman Street, Adams Street and at least six vehicles.

Much of the vandalism contained either obscene language and/or graphic drawings. The Western Courier has blurred out some of the obscene language.

Police currently believe the perpetrators are the same people or the same person due to the consistency in the paint.

MPD reports that currently, the perpetrators are looking to be charged with criminal defacement to property, a Class A misdemeanor. MPD Chief Curt Barker hopes that when the perpetrators are caught, that the victims of these vandalisms will press charges.

“We are a society of laws,” Barker said. “We can’t have anarchy.”

MPD asks that anyone with any information contact MPD at 309-833-4505 or the Macomb Area Crime Stoppers at 309-836-3222 or by texting “CRIMESTOP” to 274637. Crime Stoppers allows informants to remain anonymous and offers a reward to information leading to an arrest