MPD arrest five after traffic stop

The Macomb Police Department (MPD) arrested five people after stopping a vehicle after a patrol officer noticed an improper lane change last weekend.

Jeremiah Taylor, 20, Kewion Boyce, 20, Ki-Jana Ivey, 19, Andre Jones, 24, and a 17-year-old juvenile were all arrested after being pulled over at Lafayette Street and Calhoun Street.  The patrol officer pulling the vehicle over reported the occupants displaying suspicious activity and called out for a K9 unit to respond.

Macomb Police K9 Landers came to the scene and alerted on the vehicle to a “contraband odor,” according to MPD Chief Curt Barker. While no drugs were found in the vehicle, the officers did uncover illegal items.

“Officers located three handguns hidden in the vehicle during the search,” reads a release from Barker.  “It was later discovered one of the handguns was stolen from Indiana.  Officers also located a high capacity magazine on one of the handguns.”

According to police, all guns in the vehicle were loaded.  In the State of Illinois, it is legal to carry a gun in a vehicle, however, the guns must be unloaded and not readily available in the vehicle.

Taylor was given traffic citations for driving an uninsured vehicle and the initial improper lane change violation, which was the reason for the vehicle being stopped.  Taylor was also charged with “unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and unlawful use of a weapon.”

Jones and Ivey were both charged with possession of a stolen firearm, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and unlawful use of a weapon.  Jones was held on an outstanding warrant from Henderson County, while Ivey was transported to McDonough County Jail.

Boyce was also charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and unlawful use of a weapon, while being issued a traffic citation for driving with a suspended license.

The unnamed juvenile is being charged with some of the same allegations as the others arrested:  possession of a stolen firearm, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and unlawful use of a weapon.  He was taken to the Knox County Mary Davis home.

 All of those arrested are from Burlington, Iowa.