Swift vs Yeezy

This summer, Taylor Swift broke the hearts of many of her fans, including mine.

I’ve been a Swiftie since I was in fifth grade. I met her and her mom after a Rascal Flatts concert and fell in love with her music and everything she stood for: a hopeless romantic just trying to find her place; a girl becoming an adult and maturing and figuring out who she is, while dealing with the heartbreak along the way. And I got to grow and mature right along with her.

When a girl I thought was my friend swooped in and “took” the boy I liked, I listened to “Better Than Revenge” on repeat for days. When I had my heart broken for the first time, “White Horse” became my go-to song in my car. I can’t help but sing

“Blank Space” in an overly theatric way every single time it comes on. “Fifteen” was on every playlist I made in high school. I grew up with Taylor — she was always there for me when I needed her. She was the greatest role model and could never do anything wrong in my eyes. To every person who would say something about her being a liar or fake and superficial, I would defend her until those people grew tired of hearing about how fantastic she was. But now, I can’t defend her anymore.

I defended her all summer after her breakup with DJ Calvin Harris. She moved on quickly, yes, but she had a right to do so without public scrutiny. When her team leaked that she was actually the one who wrote Harris’ hit song “This Is What You Came For,” I defended her. She had a right to take credit for the things she was accomplishing.

But now, with the recent drama with Kanye West, I can’t defend her.

Kanye’s song “Famous” came out earlier this year and referenced Taylor Swift in a way that was less than favorable. In the song, Kanye raps, “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? / I made that b**** famous.” We couldn’t believe it. Things seemed to have been looking up for their friendship after the years began to heal the escapade from 2009 when Kanye went onstage and grabbed the microphone from Taylor at the MTV Video Music Awards after she won Best Female Video.

Shortly after the release of “Famous,” Swift received Album of the Year at the Grammy’s, the first female to do so twice. It was a big moment for the well-known feminist, and she used that platform to drag Yeezy.

“As the first woman to win Album of the Year twice, I want to say to all the young women out there: there are going to be people along the way who try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments and your fame,” Swift said, referencing West.

“But if you just focus on the work and you don’t let those people sidetrack you, some day when you get where you’re going, you’ll look around and you will know that it was you and the people who love you who put you there, and that will be the greatest feeling in the world,” Swift continued.

I watched that speech and applauded her. “Yes, girl, drag him. YOU did this.”

I would like to start off by apologizing to Yeezy. I’m sorry that I didn’t believe you when you said that she consented to being in the song. After Kim Kardashian-West casually dropped a video of Swift consenting via phone call to have her name in the song (on World Snake Day, nonetheless), a switch flipped in me. Swift couldn’t defend herself this time, she really messed up.

Sure, she attempted to make some sort of “save” to her reputation by posting on Instagram, saying she never consented to being called “that b****” and that she was never actually played the song, so basically her consent doesn’t count. She’s just trying to get off on technicalities. I can finally see the truth for what it is. Swift lied, and that hurts the people who have looked up to her for years.

And to Kim Kardashian-West: I admire your restraint on releasing that video. You said for months that she was lying and did give consent, and I didn’t believe you. You said there was a video, but I never saw one. Now I understand. You displayed a patience and strength to take control of a situation that I could only wish to one day have.