Bobby Jindal drops out of 2016 race

Louisiana+Gov.+Bobby+Jindal+greets+supporters+during+the+Republican+Party+of+Iowa+Growth+and+Opportunity+Day+in+Des+Moines%2C+Iowa+back+in+October.+
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal greets supporters during the Republican Party of Iowa Growth and Opportunity Day in Des Moines, Iowa back in October.

Nicholas Stewart

Nicholas Stewart

Staff

Republican presidential candidate Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Tuesday evening that he is dropping out of the 2016 presidential race.

“I cannot tell you what an honor it has been to run for President of the United States of America,” Jindal said in a release. “My parents came to this country 45 years ago searching for freedom and a chance.”

Jindal has been polling very low on the crowded Republican ticket. According to the latest Fox News Poll, Jindal came in with 0 percent. According to Real Clear Politics, Jindal had an average of 0.3 percent across the recent major national polls, at the time putting him 12th out of the remaining 14 candidates.

In a statement, Jindal said that the Republican party needs to continue to be a leader for the nation, reiterating statements made during the Republican Party of Iowa’s Growth and Opportunity back in October.

“Going forward, I believe we have to be the party of growth and we can never stop being the party that believes in opportunity,” Jindal said. “We cannot settle for The Left’s view of envy and division. We have to be the party that says everyone in this country – no matter the circumstances of their birth or who their parents are – can succeed in America.”

The full statement is posted below:

I cannot tell you what an honor it has been to run for President of the United States of America. My parents came to this country 45 years ago searching for freedom and a chance.

When I was born, we lived in student housing at LSU, and never in their wildest dreams did they think their son would have the opportunity to serve as Governor of Louisiana or to run for President.

They raised me to believe Americans can do anything, and they were right, we can. But this is not my time, so I am suspending my campaign for President.

Going forward, I believe we have to be the party of growth and we can never stop being the party that believes in opportunity. We cannot settle for The Left’s view of envy and division. We have to be the party that says everyone in this country – no matter the circumstances of their birth or who their parents are – can succeed in America.

One of the things I will do is go back to work at the think tank I started a few years ago – where I will be outlining a blueprint for making this the American century.

We must show the way forward on growing our economy and winning the war against terror, and especially defeating radical Islam.

I realize that our country is off on the wrong track right now. Everyone knows that, but don’t forget, this is still the greatest country in the history of the world – and every single one of us should start every day by thanking God that we are fortunate enough to be US citizens.

Now is the time for all those Americans who still believe in freedom and American exceptionalism to stand up and defend it. The idea of America – the idea that my parents came here for almost a half a century ago – that idea is slipping away from us. Freedom is under assault from both outside our borders and from within. We must act now, we do not have a moment to spare.