Illinois suspends acceptance of Syrian refugees

Illinois joins a growing list of states

In a statement released by Illinois Gov.Bruce Rauner, Illinois will suspend the acceptance of new Syrian refugees.

Nicholas Stewart, Editor-in-chief

In a statement late Monday morning, Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner said the state of Illinois will temporarily suspend the acceptance of new Syrian Refugees.

Illinois joins at least seven other states – Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan and Texas – to not allow refugees from a war-torn Syria.

All governors have cited security concerns following the terrorist attacks on Friday Nov. 13 in Paris.

Like other statements from other governors, Rauner is suspending until there is a “full review of our country’s acceptance and security processes by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security,” as stated in the media release.

The full release can be read below:

SPRINGFIELD – Governor Bruce Rauner has issued the following statement regarding Illinois’ acceptance of Syrian refugees after the terror attacks in Paris:

“Our nation and our state have a shared history of providing safe haven for those displaced by conflict, but the news surrounding the Paris terror attacks reminds us of the all-too-real security threats facing America. We must find a way to balance our tradition as a state welcoming of refugees while ensuring the safety and security of our citizens. Therefore, the state of Illinois will temporarily suspend accepting new Syrian refugees and consider all of our legal options pending a full review of our country’s acceptance and security processes by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”